+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY MDF tractrix horns and frontloaded horn systems

Default Making MDF tractrix horns and frontloaded horn systems

hi

my name is Angelo. I am swiss/italian, but live for more than 10 Years in brazil. Two years ago i started to dedicate myself more to Audio, and last year i started to design and build hornspeakers, and horns, made of MDF. To make these, i built a big wood lathe. With it i can turn horns up to one meter diameter.

here a link to my foto blog :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12312992@N07/page1/

at the moment i am finishing to build for myself a 4way full frontloaded hornsystem, that can be seen also on my blog. My intend is to make my realisations also available for others,the horns, and also complete hornspeaker systems. For this purpose, i am working on a homepage. a forum, dedicated exclusively to horns, is up for one week now. I invite you to visit it and participate :

http://www.audiovoice-acoustics.com/forum/

Angelo
    Last edited by Angelo888; 26-05-2008 at 21:51.

Beautiful workmanship on those. I have always dreamed of being able to "turn" an MDF horn. The closet I've come is my home built 7 foot folded bass horns, with the 15" driver acting as a direct radiator.

Hi Angelo

those really are very nice looking, you put a lot of work into those,you should do well, keep us up to date on your work

regards

Kurt

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Two words; WOW WOW!

Excellent work Angelo, excellent indeed!

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Love those ones:

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Pete (i_should_coco) will definitely love these puppies:

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

If he ever decides to post here (he has registered but just seems to want to lurk)...

I don't know what his problem is because he's not exactly 'shy' on Wigwam

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

hi Marco, hi all

no problem to post here. However, what should i respond to WOW !!, or similar comments like those ? Of course i apprechiate all positive compliments, but hard to respond on that. Please make specific questions , and i will be pleased to answer and share here. That's why i registered.

Angelo

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Love those ones:

Those cab's took more than 5 month , and over 250h of work, to be built. That's why i think i will hardly make a second pair for commerce. Too much work on these. The horns are Orpheans from BD-design. They have been replaced with own horns, made with MDF, and using a Radian 950pb compression driver, from 300hz up. Crossing is too low, the horn should be bigger than 20", to reproduce the lower midrange frequencies with best results. It sounds much better with the 25" horns. On them, lower midrange was absolutely wonderful,, speed, dynamics and soundstage are simply breath taking. The best i got so far. These speakers will be replaced soon with the big 4way frontloaded horn system, which is beeing built right now. It is taking also a LOT of work to make it, too. Almost 3 month working on this system, and it will be finished probably in about one month, or so.

Angelo
    Last edited by Angelo888; 27-05-2008 at 16:08.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast