+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gulp...i've bought the 8000m's !

Does anyone have any advice on my previous comment ? Thank you.
    Graham

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Assuming you haven't altered your speaker leads yet, the first option is to configure the "S" as a preamp only and use the mono's as the main driving amps. This should lift the performance due to the extra headroom now available..

The next option is to use the 8000S amp section for the tweeters and the 8000M's for the bass-mid. The frequency spectrum of most music puts 90% of the energy in the bass and mid, the tweeters handling about 10% of the signal. Our ear's greater sensitivity in the treble over the bass sort of balancing it a bit.

Like I said before, the 8000M's on their own will give a quite substantial improvement. Adding the "S" amps for the tweeters *should* open things up a bit more, certainly in "size" rather than extra details.

Hope this answers your question.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Can you help put it in simply terms for me.

Wiring the speakers to the 8000s will help ?

also, wiring the speakers to each 8000m will help ?

Sorry, i'm getting used to it all.
    Graham

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Do your speakers accept bi-wiring? I.e. are there 4 connectors on the back of each speaker? If so,the top set will supply the tweeter,and the bottom set will supply the mid/woofer.Connect your S to the tweeters of both speakers,and use the new monoblocks to supply the mid/woofers,one amp for each speaker.

I'm ChrisB.

Graham
    You need to read this article in the AoS Library:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5818

What the folks above are referring to is shown in diagram No. 4
    Think of the HF (tweeter) amp that's shown there as representing your integrated amp. Think of each (Left & Right) channel of the LF (bass/mid) amp as your mono amps.

Hi,

Yes the Kef iq5se are bi-wire able. They have four outputs on them.
    I'm getting a little confused, as my chord bi-wired cables have four output plugs for the speakers and they've paired the two wires together at the other end to the amp into two plugs.
    Do i need both ends to have four plugs ?
    Graham

I'm ChrisB.

Yes, if you want to bi-amp , that's how you'll need your cables to be configured. They are currently configured as per diagram 3 in the article I linked you to. I think you'll find bi-amping more satisfying than just using the mono amps alone (not to mention the fact that you have a perfectly good power amp section within your integrated that would be made redundant).

It should be simple enough to change the cables to accomodate this.

that link does help. I can see its diagram 5 i probably want to get to. Just not sure how this works for two monoblocs. I'm getting a headache now !
    Graham

This is what the dealers come back to me saying ....

"If you wired the treble into the integrated I feel it may become slightly harsh at higher volume’s whereas the mono’s provide more power efficiently, the best future upgrade would also be to replace the integrated with a pre-amp, so re-terminating the cables to use the 8000s and the 8000m would in some respects be an unworthy upgrade. Though, it is your Hi-Fi therefor it is your choice."

I'm very confused now !
    Graham

I'm ChrisB.

......... so re-terminating the cables to use the 8000s and the 8000m would in some respects be an unworthy upgrade.
    Because they want to sell you a seperate pre-amp! That may be the way to be thinking for later, but I'd be wanting to try bi-amping with what you have first if I were you.

You're aiming for diagram 4 not diagram 5. To do diagram 5 you would need 4 identical mono amps.

You should re-read this bit, that I said earlier, carefully.
    Think of the HF (tweeter) amp that's shown there as representing your integrated amp. Think of each (Left & Right) channel of the LF (bass/mid) amp as your mono amps.

OK then - Step by step:

INTEGRATED AMP:
    Right channel speaker cables go to upper terminals on right hand speaker (Black to black/red to red)

Left channel speaker cables go to upper terminals on left hand speaker (Black to black/red to red)

Pre amp out sockets - one interconnect to each mono amp. The one with the black plugs will go to your left hand mono amp. The one with the red plugs will go to your right hand mono amp.

LEFT HAND MONO AMP:
    Speaker cable to lower terminals on left hand speaker (Black to black/red to red)

RIGHT HAND MONO AMP:
    Speaker cable to lower terminals on right hand speaker (Black to black/red to red)

When you've done it, Label all the cables properly. Put a label on each end by each plug, telling you where it should plug into. Put a label on the back of each of your mono amps to tell you whether it's the left or the right hand channel. Take photographs and/or draw a schematic diagram.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 13-04-2010 at 17:21.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast