+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bake Off At Mine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    In all fairness, Jim, the SPOTFIRE were very noticeable. I made a comment elsewhere on the forum, that Interconnects can have as much influence as changing a component. That was scoffed at yet today Macca's comments confirmed what I already knew.

The incumbent cables were purchased to match other components from the same brand.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    I would hardly say scoffed at. For a cable to have a massive difference, the one it replaces has to be pretty crap.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Bigman80 Guest

Nope, it was scoffed at or at the very least dismissed.

And no, are you telling me you couldn't hear the improvement between a Sony ES amplifier and your Firebottle stuff? Neither are crap, but the improvements are noticeable. Same as with a cable. That's the point I was making. The changes are comparable with changing a component.

For a cable to make a difference of that level, the system need to be capable of displaying it. Macca's is.

Also the same comment made by Macca without any prompting. From a cable sceptic too!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I would hardly say scoffed at. For a cable to have a massive difference, the one it replaces has to be pretty crap.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Nope, it was scoffed at or at the very least dismissed.

And no, are you telling me you couldn't hear the improvement between a Sony ES amplifier and your Firebottle stuff? Neither are crap, but the improvements are noticeable. Same as with a cable. That's the point I was making. The changes are comparable with changing a component.

For a cable to make a difference of that level, the system need to be capable of displaying it. Macca's is.

Also the same comment made by Macca without any prompting. From a cable sceptic too!!!!!

No, I could not tell you I could hear an improvement between a Sony ES amp and the Firebottle stuff. I have never heard a Sony ES stereo amp. Apart from that mere technicality, I have heard small differences when changing equipment, as well as bigger changes. It depends on the synergy in the system. When cables get to a certain level, the changes are pretty minor. If your cable is the one I think it is (and there is not much choice for one that fits in a KLEI harmony) then I have already tried it. It is a good cable, butI prefer a different cable, and also different plugs.

Part of my original change to the Air was that performance to my other amps was very close. Selling my other amps allowed me to upgrade other parts of my system. I don’t regret my choices one bit, but would be surprised if a cable made a bigger difference. People that have heard my system have said it sounds good and is nicely balanced. Your opinion could be completely different and that would not bother me one bit. After all, I built my system based on my tastes and space constraints.

The comment about having a system capable of revealing a change in cable at a certain level makes me giggle. It is almost implying that my system is not capable, although I know you probably don’t mean this intentionally. I would be interested to know what cable you replaced with your cable. As Macca is a cable sceptic it probably wasn’t particularly good?

You must be doing something right with your cable though, as the majority of the feedback seems positive, but as with everything there are a few exceptions.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I never said 'massive' difference. There was a pretty obvious difference which I know from experience would deteriorate to a tiny difference in an unsighted comparison. But there was still a difference for me and it was a good one.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

My EE is a whiz even with CD players, pretty confident he'll get it back working properly and it should be fine for a long time then.

We could have used it for the bake off as we only played tracks not whole albums, which it still does fine, but it was cutting out at the same time point on every album so the problem should be easy to isolate at least.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

The amusing thing from my point of view is I was expecting the big revelation to be the DB1 but instead it was the interconnect cables.

I did have some reservations about the DB1 but I'd rather have a longer time to evaluate it before I'll commit to saying for certain. But I thought a couple of times I could hear a little distortion in the bass. Only twice and slight enough to be questionable. I am thinking about getting one to experiment further, so it wasn't that I wasn't impressed. It has potential.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Gary.

Music is an emotional experiece, therefore hifi quality is subjective.
    ”That” song heard in the car that really affected you...your brain did that.

The guy heard what he heard (or felt?) at the time..

s’all good.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

s’all good.
    +1

Good post Garry.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

s’all good.
    I agree, But I don't just own a decent transistor radio with a good 'tone' , and neither do you.- I like the fun involved in getting it technically better than that even though I acknowledge that 'Brown Sugar' is a killer stone groove no matter what's replaying it.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I acknowledge that 'Brown Sugar' is a killer stone groove no matter what's replaying it.
    So is 'Drive in Saturday' by Bowie.

(actually, I've got a mate called Tone who's got a decent transistor radio, true)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast