+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ska diy amps

Default ska diy amps

I am thinking about building monoblocks. has anyone got any experience with GB150D kits from http://www.ska-audio.com/ ? are they any good?
    Martin.

I'm Greg.

HI Martin,
    I built the SKA 300 twelve months ago, a bit more complicated than the 150 but imo well worth the effort, if you want value for money audio from a solid state amp you'd have to pay a lot more commercially for a similar level of reproduction. The support from Greg Ball and the forum is excellent if you're new to diy.
    The results you'll get are very system dependant, was using a welbourn pre for a good while and was impressed with the imaging, strong detailed bass, clear mids, and good timing. I now use a croft micro 25, it's given even more clarity, and better imaging but is maybe a little forward in the treble for some ( I like this though, cos I've got ageing and abused hearing )
    Post on the SKA forum, see if there's anyone in your area who has one and willing to give you a demo. Your welcome to come have a listen to mine if your in the NW at sometime.
    Unfortunately I'm not gifted with the ability to express what I hear in verbal terms, but I do know, I like what I hear from the combination I have now. I would recommend the project as long as you're going to enjoy the build process as that's a big part of the DIY ethos.

Regards
    Greg

thanks greg,
    will try ska forum. you are not the only one to have problems to describe what you hear.
    Martin.

+ Reply to Thread