+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Passive re-casing project

Rob,

Very interesting reading how this all evolved and, of course, I am now the proud owner....and it sounds great! As you know, I have changed the volume control to an anodised silver one but otherwise it is still just as it was. Having had a bit of time to live with it now, I can't understand why more people have not gone down this passive route. What's the CD player by the way and have you now sold it?

I'm ChrisB.

Forgive me, I don't know what it sounds like, but, aesthetically, I think it's awful ....sorry!!
    Why would you spoil that cherry with the other stuff??? I know it's all in the eye of the beholder - but..........
    ........well, I suppose you're the one who's got to behold it every day....good luck!!

Mr Wazoo, You don't have to apologise - you are not alone in your opinion of the aesthetics! I had been watching it on ebay for a while, intrigued by the idea and also quite impressed by the quirky looks. So I made Rob an offer and bought it. But when I got it home, my wife kicked up a huge fuss "you cannot be serious, etc, etc"!

I was frankly surprised - I thought she would prefer it to the usual black boxes. This is an age old problem I pick up from many discussions and forums - partners' objections to hi fi, wires, etc and let's face it, most of us to not have the luxury of a dedicated hi fi room.

So I asked Rob about re-casing and he suggested a black acrylic box, but I can't find any. Anyone out there know where I may get one? But frankly, for the expense of buying a new box, getting someone to re-house it, etc, I think I may stick with it. I think I have a pretty good aesthetic appreciation and still quite like it, particularly now I have changed the gold knob for a more subtle anodised silver and it looks less like something one would keep Granny's ashes in! I have taunted my wife (who is very understanding and a complete darling) that I will stick her ashes in it to provide further sonic enhancement! What do others thinks? Any ideas on re-casing - should I post this as a separate thread? Phil

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bishop View Post
    ...What's the CD player by the way and have you now sold it?
    I'm glad you're pleased, it's a great passive. The CD player was a Musical Fidelity A3.5CD. I also had a Tri-Vista 21 DAC but it was on loan to my mate at the time - he ended up buying it actually!

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Forgive me, I don't know what it sounds like, but, aesthetically, I think it's awful ....sorry!!
    Why would you spoil that cherry with the other stuff??? I know it's all in the eye of the beholder - but..........
    ........well, I suppose you're the one who's got to behold it every day....good luck!!

I love to create controversy with my work. I'm glad you think it's awful as much as I'm glad Phil loves it - that's the sign of an interesting design. If everyone liked it or was indifferent then it would a bland design, and that would be dull. I'd never intended to sell it to be honest and I wanted something that looked really different from the mainstream black boxes, think I did it too.

When it was on my stand it attracted all sorts of conversation, much more so than my dull looking 8000P.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123