+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ADC Accutrac 4000 Turntable

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Why? i think a GL75 with new audio-exit cable and bearing blocks and a thoroughly cleaned idler and platter driving surface is a very fine thing indeed - even the much maligned arm! I owned several over the years so do speak with experience..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ILOB.

The Lenco is really worth a go Andre Once the rumble issues are sorted you have something that is capable of equaling £2000 to £3000 TT I heard quite a few when they been well plinthed and have really enjoyed them (if not I know a good home for one!)
    I Know you could do a great job with this
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Why? i think a GL75 with new audio-exit cable and bearing blocks and a thoroughly cleaned idler and platter driving surface is a very fine thing indeed - even the much maligned arm! I owned several over the years so do speak with experience..
    No no all vintage gear stays totally original. This one is mint boxed virtually no use, complete with Lenco plinth/prop lid which makes it even more original. I have no intention on using it.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
    £200+ if it works.

Dave
    I think that may be a little optimistic, Dave. I paid £70 and £83 for the last two I bought, and the first was from a dealer, boxed with all its original gubbins! I'd say £100-£130 tops.

I actually have the full set now, sad geek that I am -

ADC Accutrac 4000 - Direct Drive, single play with track selection
    ADC Accutrac +6 - Belt Drive, 6 LP autochanger with motorised spindle and track selection (only sold in the US)
    BSR Accuglide XR60 - a badge engineered lower budget version of the Accutrac +6 with basically the same features (also US only)
    BSR Accuglide XR50 - simpler version of the XR60 with the funky autochange option but no track selection (also US only)

The big problem with these decks are the sensors that are used for positioning and moving the arm, and the cartridges. Once a sensor goes, the deck will not initialise (my XR60 just repeatedly goes through its initialisation routine when powered up and will do nothing else) and the arm assembly is a sod to take apart!

The cartridges for the 4000, +6 and XR60 are all specific to each unit as they contain the infra-red sensor for track selection. Stylii are becoming very hard to find and, whilst a standard ADC QLM type will fit, it blocks the sensor and so the deck does not operate properly!

Sound-wise they're OK but not giant killers. The 4000 is the best of the bunch and is quite sweet but if you have the version of the +6 with the remote volume adjustment circuit, this ruins the sound quality - I shall be bypassing mine at some point.

All in all, fun, bonkers and addictive but if you're thinking of buying one, MAKE SURE IT WORKS! They are controlled by application specific ICs which have long been unobtainable - generally when they stop working, they don't start again.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12