+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying CD for bonus tracks

I'm Nobody.

Default Buying CD for bonus tracks

Everyone knows bonus tracks are supposidly for the fans but in reality a selling point! I've always sniffed at bonus tracks as there's never really been to much worth bothering with.A reason i try to buy Japanese card sleeve editions as they are generally what you got on the original album, nothing else..

Enter the last Remaster of Van Der Graaf Generator 'H To He, Who Am The Only One' CD.A certain bonus track on there called ''Squid I/II/Octopuss'' changed everything in my life! Some may recognise the title originally from their debut album 'The Aerosol Grey Machine''..This recording was originally recorded at the begining of the 'Pawn Heart' sessions, it's absolutly mind boggling to say the least & probably the greatest thing i've heard from the band in a studio situation, it's 15 mins of raw driving power..(You have to really have good speakers that can recreate amazing bass depths to appreciate Van Der Graaf Generator from this era, especially these re-masters IMHO).. i play this particular track almost every week for a long time now..The sound quality is just staggering.

Anyway 'Pawn Hearts' as some may know was roumered to have originally been planned as a double album which would include some in studio recorded live favs, 'Squid I/II/Octopuss'' was one of their live favs & this is quite posible one of the proposed tracks for the 'Pwn Hearts' album.

Everyone must have these remasters anyway, it's like someone's taked a veil away from past issues.

http://www.amazon.com/He-Who-Am-Only-One/dp/B0009F9O6M
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 12-04-2010 at 00:16.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I never got Pawn Hearts at the time and still am unsure (I think i have the LP somewhere). I ought to locate it and give it another go, but this kind of music making's a bit dated for me...

I'll have to try to adjust my mentality back to the eleven year old who was having his musical mind expanded hugely.........
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

If you have the Ameriacn or Canadian issue of 'Pawn Hearts' vinyl it includes George martins 'Theme One' track omitted from our issue. I've always prefered 'H To He, Who Am The Only One' fuzzy warble tho

I'm Neil.

I love Theme One(years of listening to the Friday Rock show) but I must confess to struggling with VDGG other music....its... well... frankly too avant garde for me.

I will give the albums I have another go though just to be fair.

Just checked I have Pawn Hearts the EMI remaster 2005 (CASCDR1051) extra tracks on this are Theme One, W, Angle of Incidents, Ponker's Theme and Diminuations

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ILOB.

I never buy Cds for a bonus track; a bonus live DVD or an etxtra live CD is another matter
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I love Theme One(years of listening to the Friday Rock show) but I must confess to struggling with VDGG other music....its... well... frankly too avant garde for me.

I will give the albums I have another go though just to be fair.

Just checked I have Pawn Hearts the EMI remaster 2005 (CASCDR1051) extra tracks on this are Theme One, W, Angle of Incidents, Ponker's Theme and Diminuations

Regards D S D L
    Avant Garde! You might have been listerning to the tripe from 1975 onwards.

Aerosol Grey machine (1969) German issue debut album
    'The Least We Can Do Is Wave' (1970) UK debut
    'H To He, Who Am The Only One' (1971)
    'Pawn Hearts' (1972)

Thats it.. i can just about stomach 'Godbluff' but it's in reality to straight forward compared to previous work.

Die hards who can't get enough of Pre 'Godbluff' VDGG can always buy Peter Hammill's solo's.. the band is stil VDGG.. 'Foolsmate', 'Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night' & 'Silent Corner, Empty Stage' are good.

Aye they are the bonus tracks on present remasters which are 2005 your right. how tme flies only seems two mins since i bought these issues.

I'm ChrisB.

My opinion Neil - if you own no other VDGG album it should be 'H to He...' even if it's only for the first two tracks.

'Killer' is just that: a killer track & the I think the best they ever did. The feel is very much like '21st Century Schizoid Man' - dense & heavy, great dynamics - it gets a bit blurty in the end!.
    'House With No Door' couldn't be more different - gentle, melodic.

Mostly I feel that bonus tracks were left off the original albums for good reasons - usually they weren't as good as the ones that made it to the final cut. there have been some exceptions though. So I treat them as bonuses rather than something to seek out.

Cheers

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post

Mostly I feel that bonus tracks were left off the original albums for good reasons - usually they weren't as good as the ones that made it to the final cut. there have been some exceptions though. So I treat them as bonuses rather than something to seek out.

Cheers
    Nop i've explained (copied below) why the bonus track in question wasnt on it:

***Anyway 'Pawn Hearts' as some may know was roumered to have originally been planned as a double album which would include some in studio recorded live favs, 'Squid I/II/Octopuss'' was one of their live favs & this is quite posible one of the proposed tracks for the 'Pawn Hearts' album***

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Nop i've explained (copied below) why the bonus track in question wasnt on it:

***Anyway 'Pawn Hearts' as some may know was roumered to have originally been planned as a double album which would include some in studio recorded live favs, 'Squid I/II/Octopuss'' was one of their live favs & this is quite posible one of the proposed tracks for the 'Pawn Hearts' album***
    Yup!
    I read that bit, which is why I said:

I'm Nobody.

But But But. This bonus track is better than anything on 'Pawn Hearts' i don't really understand why it is on 'H To He' as a bonus when it was recorded for the 'Pawn Hearts' sessions..Can i also point out that the master tapes for 'Pawn Hearts' material including a lot of other work for the proposed double album is said to be missing no one nows where they are...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast