+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Movement from Logitech with Squeezebox Touch?

I'm Gary.

Default Movement from Logitech with Squeezebox Touch?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...t=76681&page=4

SB Touch compatible Server software finally released:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Release_Notes

More Info and Video Clips:
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Release_Notes

At last!
    Looks awesome...

All this AND:

1)
    with a Beresford Caiman (or equally good Dac mines is upgraded!) via Digital Coax Out, arguably as good as/ subjectively better than the Transporter..

2)
    24/96 Output to Dac

3)
    Futureproofing...
    Open Source Software with LOADS of smart developers taking advantage of the Touch's new features..

I've been playing with Squeezeplay..the software version of the Touch which emulates it's operation.
    Pretty great!

I'll be using the Touch as a digital transport controlled with IPeng anyway...but great to know all this new stuff is there!

More excited about the improvements to the SPDIF implementation and its closeness to the Transporter via Digital Out.

Gaz.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Dave.

Gaz

I'm curious how you know that it'll sound good if it's not been released yet.
    I've also heard rumours that it may be excellent, but surely it's all up in the air until some are shipped out.

Not that I want to dampen your enthusiasm. If the DAC in the unit is as good as it's been hyped, then would there really be any need to buy another? I use a Caiman with my SB3, but really I was quite happy with the SB3 DAC - but thought I'd try to squeeze a bit more out, and also the Caiman has the very useful headphone outlet, and since some of my amps have hum and noise on the headphone socket that's a big plus.

For feeding direct into an amp it'd be interesting to see/hear how good the new Touch is when it arrives. Allegedly it's been hyped up to be better than the SB3.
    Dave

I'm inthescottishmafia.

There have been many beta testers using the Touch for quite a while,so sound quality reports are based on their findings.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Gaz

I'm curious how you know that it'll sound good if it's not been released yet.
    I've also heard rumours that it may be excellent, but surely it's all up in the air until some are shipped out.

Not that I want to dampen your enthusiasm. If the DAC in the unit is as good as it's been hyped, then would there really be any need to buy another? I use a Caiman with my SB3, but really I was quite happy with the SB3 DAC - but thought I'd try to squeeze a bit more out, and also the Caiman has the very useful headphone outlet, and since some of my amps have hum and noise on the headphone socket that's a big plus.

For feeding direct into an amp it'd be interesting to see/hear how good the new Touch is when it arrives. Allegedly it's been hyped up to be better than the SB3.
    Hi Dave,

The SB3 internal Dac is quite good...but to me it sounds like a toy compared to my Beresford, particularly with the latest upgrades (Mutara Regs and Rubycon Caps)...its just a different product all together.

The Digital out oif the Touch is reportedly a lot better than the SB3 - again, through many Beta testers reports - and as I'll be using mine as a digital transport (rather than using the internal Dac) Id be expecting a jump in quality over my existing SB3.

The Touch and SB3 are different products all together too...
    The Touch reportedly has a much better Digital Out, a superior internal Dac AND it will do 24/96 Hires digital files.

Wish the screen was a bit bigger though..I'll miss the big VU meters whilst playing.....
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Dave.

Hi Gaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hi Dave,

The Digital out oif the Touch is reportedly a lot better than the SB3 - again, through many Beta testers reports - and as I'll be using mine as a digital transport (rather than using the internal Dac) Id be expecting a jump in quality over my existing SB3.

The Touch and SB3 are different products all together too...
    The Touch reportedly has a much better Digital Out, a superior internal Dac AND it will do 24/96 Hires digital files.

Wish the screen was a bit bigger though..I'll miss the big VU meters whilst playing.....
    Sounds great. I'll follow you with interest on this one - though it's debateable whether I could smuggle yet another such device in. I have been contemplating the SqueezeboxBoom (don't laugh) for use in the kitchen or other work areas.

The good thing about the Touch and the SB3 is that they can feed into amps and DACs, but that's also a bad thing, as I've only got a couple of good ones, and - as hinted at already - getting more kit might not be appreciated. The idea of discarding something (like my Christmas present SB3) particularly something I've only just got used to - to replace it by a new toy - is also alien to me.

Re the VU meters - I don't know enough about the Touch. If it's going to be a bit "open source ish" couldn't you get someone to write a program to do that for you? I don't really know - but the SB3 has plugins, and we all know by now about the gazillions of iPhone Apps - so maybe the Touch will go that way too.
    Dave

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I believe there are plugins already.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Hi Gaz
    Sounds great. I'll follow you with interest on this one - though it's debateable whether I could smuggle yet another such device in. I have been contemplating the SqueezeboxBoom (don't laugh) for use in the kitchen or other work areas.

The good thing about the Touch and the SB3 is that they can feed into amps and DACs, but that's also a bad thing, as I've only got a couple of good ones, and - as hinted at already - getting more kit might not be appreciated. The idea of discarding something (like my Christmas present SB3) particularly something I've only just got used to - to replace it by a new toy - is also alien to me.

Re the VU meters - I don't know enough about the Touch. If it's going to be a bit "open source ish" couldn't you get someone to write a program to do that for you? I don't really know - but the SB3 has plugins, and we all know by now about the gazillions of iPhone Apps - so maybe the Touch will go that way too.
    Hi Dave,
    the Boom looks a great bit of Kit....perfect for a kitchen or study, though unfortunately its VERY different from the SB3..no way you can smuggle it in the house without it being noticed

About the Touch..
    it DOES have an equivalent VU meter screensaver..but the screens a different shape and a fair bit smaller so wont have the same effect from across the room.

...he says without ever having seen on e in action

Just a thought..
    Why not sell your SB3 and buy womens shoes with it...
    sure that will smooth the path to a new Squeezebox Touch?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hi Dave,
    the Boom looks a great bit of Kit....perfect for a kitchen or study, though unfortunately its VERY different from the SB3..no way you can smuggle it in the house without it being noticed
    I'm not too worried about smuggling one of those in. The deal would be that if we had one in the kitchen I might cook or do some ironing.

Just a thought..
    Why not sell your SB3 and buy womens shoes with it...
    sure that will smooth the path to a new Squeezebox Touch?
    You're getting closer than you know! Actually selling the SB3 isn't really something I want to do, and in any case the Touch is affordable. Who do you think I live with - an Imelda Marcos look alike?

If I could find a compact amp to feed any spare Squeezeboxes into I could use some spare speakers in a study or family room, or even a bedroom, but I would perhaps try to avoid anything large = yet more clutter!
    Dave

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I recently got a Hlly T-amp 90 off the bay.It's a superb amp,way better than I expected.Sounds like a good valve amp.They're small,and they sell lower powered ones that are smaller as they use a wall wart.Dunno how they sound as I've not heard them,but there are positive things said about them.Any of these would be perfect for a compact system.

I have an SB3 and a Radio. Wanted a Boom and a Touch but the Radio sold me as my ancient alarm clock died at the time of ordering and the Radio makes a great bedside alarm. The other selling point is the optional battery pack which makes the Radio truly portable - let's face it, are you going to need "true" stereo or the ability to pick it up and walk off with it ?

I am holding back on the Touch until the price becomes a bit more reasonable - proabably in August or so. The SB3 through the Caiman is plenty nice for now and TBH I think the big display from across the room may be a better bet.

+ Reply to Thread