+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How does the NAD C352 compared to other amps under 1000.00?

Lightbulb

Where did the 100 damping factor come from, I can't find it at all?

Thanks

Dave

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Hi Dave,
    I read it somewhere,been trying to find it again but I can't.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Daveboy - I was sure I had responded earlier on this, maybe a different thread as nothing here!

I bought the original Creek Evo integrated last year just as the Mk 2 came out. Maybe I'm being a bit cynical, but I am sure lots of manufacturers only revisit a product because they either are forced to (components becoming hard to source) or because a Mk2 (or 3 or 4) is a good way to re-launch a product with evolution rather revolution (pun intended! )

Anyway, it replaced an Audiolab 8000s (the Creek is slightly warmer, but I can't tell a massive difference between the two sounds to be honest) and I also auditioned the Marantz amp that matched my SACD player, the PM 7001 KI Signature and Roksan Kandy K2 -both of which I liked, but to be honest, they all sounded not too different to my (perhaps knackered from too much DJ'ing) ears... The Creek Evo won, but mainly on financial grounds as my local Hughes had it on sale at half-price as it was end of line.

That said, even the Evo 2 isn't a £1,000 amp - more like £570 - Creek Evo Google Shopping - and you have no tone controls (pretty much nothing apart from line level input selector volume and a tape loop) which is all I wanted but limiting to some - I have never found the bass light (it's got plenty of grunt, 85 watts RMS I think.

Based on the current price of the NAD C355 (which replaced the C352 I think?) I'm guessing you paid around £450-500 for it? I'd dare bet the Creek would be a side-grade - different maybe, but no massive jump in performance.

Having just typed all this, and then checking Google, I guess you were in fact referring to the CREEK EVOLUTION 5350 AMPLIFIER - which came out in February 2010 about a grand... Hadn't seen that before.

Looks good, but having only just found out of it's existence no idea how much better it is than the Evo 2.

That said, the Marantz Dave C has posted above at £750 does look mighty attractive...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Well from what I've read,the damping factor for the Jungson is 100,which is pretty much typical for a sand amp is it not?

What's your opinion of this Dave?

http://www.tubetvr.com/damping.html
    Either it shows that all one needs is a damping factor of ~ 25, or one has to take into account the full effect of the crossover (that is the real part of the speaker impedance, rather than the normally quoted modulus value).

I think the author is mistaken in including the speaker resistance with the amplifier output impedance.

Regards
    Barry

I'm David.

Okay here is the thing, after taking some more time to articulate why I am perhaps looking for something else. The NAD delivers lots of bass, it's sharp and snappy, i certainly don't find it overbearing. It produces lots of detail, really capturing the various aspects of a composition very well. It is very clear and sounds quite precise if that's the right word. However when I play some songs I can't help but feel it sounds somewhat flat the sound is thick and textured well but it seems to be lacking in some rhythmic drive. So with that said, perhaps this might give you a better idea of suggestions?

Does this make sense or am I talking drivel? lol

Smile

My suggestion hasn't changed. But maybe you should consider the whole system?

Regards

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234