+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does Anything Better Jelco Arms Under 1000GBP?

I'm Spencer.

Default Does Anything Better Jelco Arms Under 1000GBP?

Been reading about the Jelco 850L and the other newer models as I look for arm with budget of under 1000 pounds (new or used) to go with a Sota Star V and Dynavector XX2mkII. Not a ton of user comments, but just about every one I've read (here, Audiogon, VA, vinylengine) all imply thrilled owners and not a one who regrets the purchase. Sound quality performance value for its price is reportedly high and that has been my experience when I've heard the older 750 series and even their lower priced arms. Another arm under consideration is the Audiomods Series V.

My take so far:
    Jelco: pro - longstanding reputation for quality, demonstrated by so many OEM arms provided to turntable manufacturers, good fit & finish, compatibility w/many carts of varying compliance, flexibility of changing headshells(including w/azimuth adjustment), high likelihood of parts/service if ever needed, likely decent resale value if I ever choose to go in another direction.
    cons: extra electrical connection points vs. one piece arm/headshell, lack of precise repeatable VTA adjustment (although EasyVTA aftermarket product can address this), knife edge bearings theoretically an improvement, but my impression is that in practice they often aren't ideal.

To use a car analogy is this the Toyota Camry of tonearms?

The Audiomods Series V:
    pros: keeps the best aspect of the new Rega arm and replaces almost everything else with better design and quality parts, precise micrometer VTA adjustment, silver wire one piece loom from pins to plugs
    cons: one man company uncertainties on parts/service if ever needed, relatively little user base or resale market, no opportunity to listen before buying, a bit more costly than the Jelco.
    Hoping it's not a Saab 900; really cool when they were around but at some point a quirky performer from days gone by that might not be a keeper.

So anybody care to chime in on these or others that fit the bill in the same price range? If you're curious, the rest of the system is here: https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/133 Cheers,
    Spencer
    Sota Star Sapphire V turntable, SME V, Dynavector XX2, MkII MC cartridge, Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage
    Digital: Server Synology DS415+ / Sonore microRendu / Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit / Custom Linear Power Supply by Ecco Audio
    Both: BAT VK51SE > Krell FPB-300 amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I'm Mike.

The Audiomods Series 5 is the arm i'm looking at getting, you mentioned spare parts to be honest i've never had to replace any part of a tonearm that i bought new and never needed to have one repaired, it's only been older stuff like the arm that was on my planar 3 which had an issue with a cogged belt which had perished, thing was there were no spares available for it as it was so old, so i don't really see the issue you have on that score, as you say it uses high quality parts and it's hand made. Also your comment about it being like a Saab 900, surely a good arm or car for that matter continues to be good at least against it's peers

Saying that however the Audiomods like other arms sound better on some decks and not others, i have a Rega deck so the Audiomods arm is a safe bet for me, i know there are members on here with Audiomods arms their insight may help.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Stephen.

Always a little further

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    The Audiomods Series 5 is the arm i'm looking at getting, you mentioned spare parts to be honest i've never had to replace any part of a tonearm that i bought new and never needed to have one repaired, it's only been older stuff like the arm that was on my planar 3 which had an issue with a cogged belt which had perished, thing was there were no spares available for it as it was so old, so i don't really see the issue you have on that score, as you say it uses high quality parts and it's hand made. Also your comment about it being like a Saab 900, surely a good arm or car for that matter continues to be good at least against it's peers

Saying that however the Audiomods like other arms sound better on some decks and not others, i have a Rega deck so the Audiomods arm is a safe bet for me, i know there are members on here with Audiomods arms their insight may help.
    I use an Audiomod 5 (with micrometer VTA) on my Techie with great results and Jeff will make it to suit your specific cartridge likes at no extra cost should you wish.

An excellent and well made product that holds its value (how many do you see coming up for sale used ?)

Mel

I'm John.

I would also look at Origin Live arms, you have a choice of 4 under a grand new and possibly the Encounter which pops up occasionally secondhand at under a grand.
    If the arm is ordered direct from OL you get a 30 day money back trial period. A friend of mine is using an Encounter mk2 on his SP10 MKII and sounds superb.

I'm Spencer.

Thanks for your suggestions. Will check out the Encounter.
    Sota Star Sapphire V turntable, SME V, Dynavector XX2, MkII MC cartridge, Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage
    Digital: Server Synology DS415+ / Sonore microRendu / Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit / Custom Linear Power Supply by Ecco Audio
    Both: BAT VK51SE > Krell FPB-300 amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

+ Reply to Thread