+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can your System Convey Emotion

I'm Peter.

Default Can your System Convey Emotion

As this is digital..... I thought to be the right place!

As a Vinyl nut, I thought I might portray something completely different..

Heard something that brings tears... or is it that my system is doing this for me?

“Famous blue Raincoat”, No, not by Jenifer Wearn’s, but by a cover artist ..... “Agency”

Obviously, this is a cover but it tests my system to the enth degree..

This really is worth a listen... perhaps crap for some..... but open your ears.

Kit is :

Macintosh MA2275 / Mytek Brooklyn DAC / MicroRendu End Point/ Revolver Cygnus Speakers. (All via Roon).

Bollocks.... I still love the Black Stuff!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    “Famous blue Raincoat”, No, not by Jenifer Wearn’s, but by a cover artist ..... “Agency”

...er, Jennifer Warnes' version is a cover also.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    ...er, Jennifer Warnes' version is a cover also.
    I think you have missed the point somewhat!

A naff response that's for sure.

Of course I know Famous Blue raincoat (Jennifer Wearns a) is a cover of the Leonard Cohen original at least he was on the Jennifer Wearns version.

Still.....it takes all sorts.

I was talking about how your system conveys emotion with the Agency album.

Each to our own... That's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I was talking about how your system conveys emotion with the Agency album
    It tells me all I need to know - it's a closed mic'd whining twat, and should be avoided at all costs!
    You have some stamina coping with a full album - I didn't manage 30 seconds .....
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    It tells me all I need to know - it's a closed mic'd whining twat, and should be avoided at all costs!
    You have some stamina coping with a full album - I didn't manage 30 seconds .....
    This also tells me I need to know...

Biography.... A Grumpy Git.

Each to our own.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

This also tells me I need to know...

Biography.... A Grumpy Git.

Each to our own.

So some people do read that stuff then .... phew, that's a relief!
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

As this is digital..... I thought to be the right place!

As a Vinyl nut, I thought I might portray something completely different..

Heard something that brings tears... or is it that my system is doing this for me?

Obviously, this is a cover but it tests my system to the enth degree..

This really is worth a listen... perhaps crap for some..... but open your ears.

Kit is :

Macintosh MA2275 / Mytek Brooklyn DAC / MicroRendu End Point/ Revolver Cygnus Speakers. (All via Roon).

Bollocks.... I still love the Black Stuff!!!

I think you're asking the wrong question here and I fear you will get very few positive responses. In fact I think you are conflating two issues. The first is whether one finds a particular musical performance moving. The second is whether your system is good enough to capture and project the emotion of musical performance.

I think you were always going to be on dodgy ground comparing a cover of a Leonard Cohen song to the original performance by Laughing Len himself. I did not really like the Agency performance and can think of several (IMHO) better covers. By coincidence, I heard two very different live performances of this song at the same venue in the last two years: Richard Shindell and Edwina Hayes at the Greystones in Sheffield. I like the Hayes version because of the quality of her voice, and the Shindell version because I think he is a master of the "cover" and really gets at the meaning of a song.

On the second point, I think that a good system can really help to enjoy a recording and get a sense of what the writer and performer intended, but I will confess to having been moved by performances heard on crappy systems too.

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

I think you have missed the point somewhat!

A naff response that's for sure.

Of course I know Famous Blue raincoat (Jennifer Wearns a) is a cover of the Leonard Cohen original at least he was on the Jennifer Wearns version.

Still.....it takes all sorts.

I was talking about how your system conveys emotion with the Agency album.

Each to our own... That's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think at the time the song was recorded he was on Jennifer Warnes quite often per se!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I think you're asking the wrong question here and I fear you will get very few positive responses. In fact I think you are conflating two issues. The first is whether one finds a particular musical performance moving. The second is whether your system is good enough to capture and project the emotion of musical performance.

I think you were always going to be on dodgy ground comparing a cover of a Leonard Cohen song to the original performance by Laughing Len himself. I did not really like the Agency performance and can think of several (IMHO) better covers. By coincidence, I heard two very different live performances of this song at the same venue in the last two years: Richard Shindell and Edwina Hayes at the Greystones in Sheffield. I like the Hayes version because of the quality of her voice, and the Shindell version because I think he is a master of the "cover" and really gets at the meaning of a song.

On the second point, I think that a good system can really help to enjoy a recording and get a sense of what the writer and performer intended, but I will confess to having been moved by performances heard on crappy systems too.

Geoff
    Geoff,

I agree there are better versions. As for a decent system... I think I got that!
    It’s about what you hear at the time of listening.

My deck / System is capable of playing both crap and music to die for. After all, isn’t that what it’s all about?

Peter

I'm Geoff.

Geoff,

I agree there are better versions. As for a decent system... I think I got that!
    It’s about what you hear at the time of listening.

My deck / System is capable of playing both crap and music to die for. After all, isn’t that what it’s all about?

Peter

I am sure your system is excellent but the point I was making is that an exceptional performance can often cut through a mediocre or even just plain rubbish system. For me, it is usually about the poignancy of the lyrics.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast