I'm Bill.

Default What's your Pi power?

What's your preference regarding SQ?

Standard PSU
    If ipower
    Allo low noise PSU
    Battery
    Anything else?

I'm back to a basic Pi and want to make sure I'm using the best PSU I can.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Luke.

I will follow this thread with interest.

I power mine with a cheap wallwart, but I have been tempted to buy an ifi one ever since hearing the improvement that using a cheap battery pack made. A bit illogical perhaps, but I can't be arsed with rigging up a battery plus charger and would prefer a simple plug and play solution.

Also Allo supposedly have an audiophile 5v switching supply in the works, but it seems to have stalled, as no updates in a long while.

I'm Grant.

5v 20,000mah imuto battery. works very well with an inline switch
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    I will follow this thread with interest.

I power mine with a cheap wallwart, but I have been tempted to buy an ifi one ever since hearing the improvement that using a cheap battery pack made. A bit illogical perhaps, but I can't be arsed with rigging up a battery plus charger and would prefer a simple plug and play solution.

Also Allo supposedly have an audiophile 5v switching supply in the works, but it seems to have stalled, as no updates in a long while.
    A cheap and easy way try a battery is to use a power pack designed to recharge smart phones.

I Use a couple of large rugged ones bought from Maplins for fiver when they were closing but mainly to give me a portable option for playing. I also have a dedicated linear unit from Audiophonics as well as the Pi branded wall wart - I can’t hear any difference between any of them.

I'm fabulous.

Haven't tried a battery... however, what I can honestly say is that for me I was sceptical about power until I eventually gave in and paid £49 for the ifi powersupply
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/iFi-iPower-.../dp/B01GNNXP0Y

OMG I couldn't believe the difference it made to sound quality, over the "official raspberry pi supply". Personally I consider the ifi an essential purchase - one of the best £ for sound purchases I have ever made
    lossless > Raspberry PI-3b+ > allo Boss > Van Damme Purple interconnect >
    Myryad Z210 CD Player > Chord Chameleon Silver+ interconnect >

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders
    Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-back

I'm Stephen.

Paul Hynes linear supply with HRS Nimbus footers and HRS damping plates. Underneath is a Nordost Thor power distributor. I avoid the micro USB power input by soldering DC power directly onto GPIO pins. It’s also earthed to Entreq Silver Tellus.

006B0374-3986-4792-B191-6E78391EAF32 by Steve Paines, on Flickr

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by guyhayton View Post
    Haven't tried a battery... however, what I can honestly say is that for me I was sceptical about power until I eventually gave in and paid £49 for the ifi powersupply
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/iFi-iPower-.../dp/B01GNNXP0Y

OMG I couldn't believe the difference it made to sound quality, over the "official raspberry pi supply". Personally I consider the ifi an essential purchase - one of the best £ for sound purchases I have ever made
    I have one of those too powering my Pi. Previously I had an Anker battery which was OK but too much hassle. I then had a Chinese Linear Power Supply which kept drifting away from the 5v on the LED display (not a sound quality issue but annoyed me)....

....the Ifi is just fit and forget and sounds fine to me!
    Adam.

I'm Andreas.

I mainly use an S-Booster LPSU but I recently bought a small Anker powerbank for general use that I sometimes pop in there to power the Pi.

The battery has an insight/noise floor edge but lacks some oomph compared to the S-Booster for some reason. I could live with either but generally use the S-Booster since it just sits there without hassle.

The Allo walwart that came with my DigiOne is a few steps behind either option for sure.
    Allo Digione (w S-Booster)-> Rega DAC -> Rega Elex-R -> Harbeth P3ESR

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post
    Paul Hynes linear supply with HRS Nimbus footers and HRS damping plates. Underneath is a Nordost Thor power distributor. I avoid the micro USB power input by soldering DC power directly onto GPIO pins.
    That's looks damn cool!

Can't say I've heard a real difference between power supplies myself, although I don't like the idea of the cheapo switching unit which comes as standard. I've used a HDPLEX (which I still use for my phono stage and headphone amp) and currently a LongDog Audio sold by MCRU. I'm happy with this so won't be messing with others, although one day I might try the above method by removing the need for the USB power connection.

I'm Adam.

I'm currently using the official Pi supply. Does anyone know of someone in the UK building a 5V linear supply that could supply both Pi and DAC hat? I've seen a lot of Chinese supplies and the odd German one I just wondered if there are any home grown?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast