+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What's your Pi power?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    What are the chances that something like this: DC-DC Converter Step Down Module 12V to 5V 3A 15W USB Output Power Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G8PZS..._S1xwCbD3D5NYE would work to power the Pi from a car battery?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Nick I do exactly this from a Leisure battery. Voltage stays constant with very little variation (tested with a meter)
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    Nick I do exactly this from a Leisure battery. Voltage stays constant with very little variation (tested with a meter)
    That's good news! I already have my headphone rig battery powered, I love to have the pi powered off the same one. Not sure if that's drawing too much power though?

Might need a second battery?

Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Paul.

All it will do is drain the battery quicker. Unless your pi has a lot plugged into it in which case the buck converter might cause power issues. Out of interest what is the Ah of your battery?
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm Nick.

All it will do is drain the battery quicker. Unless your pi has a lot plugged into it in which case the buck converter might cause power issues. Out of interest what is the Ah of your battery?
    Only thing that'll be plugged into it is a HDMI to a display (has its own power) and an optical to my DAC (has its own power). Fingers crossed I can get it to work.

Honestly, I'm not sure, I bought the battery used from a scrappy for £20 lol

Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Paul.

You should be fine then. Only have to solder 2 in and 2 out wires. Bare in mind the pot to set the voltage can take a number of turns before it starts to move but it will in the end, best to use a meter here.

You may have to butcher a micro usb lead as i did and if you do leave enough wire at the supply end to test for the two 5v feed wires (I think there are 4 or 5 wires in usb cable) and make a note of their colours.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm Nick.

You should be fine then. Only have to solder 2 in and 2 out wires. Bare in mind the pot to set the voltage can take a number of turns before it starts to move but it will in the end, best to use a meter here.

You may have to butcher a micro usb lead as i did and if you do leave enough wire at the supply end to test for the two 5v feed wires (I think there are 4 or 5 wires in usb cable) and make a note of their colours.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    That sounds a little over my head in theory, I don't understand much about electricity. Had to get Tony to walk me through battery powering the headphone rig step by step lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456