+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All that glitters

I'm Bob.

Default All that glitters

As some of you may have read in the past I wanted to use my Quad 33/405 amp with my Tannoy Cheviots and my Xbox One X.

I bought a Dac from another member and hooked it up. I have to say it sounded impressive, but I couldn't help but notice my use of the system to play music actually went down.

So in the end I pulled out the Dac, re-plugged in the Pioneer amp with digital input and configured it to work with the Xbox.

And the result is I am enjoying my music again.

The Quad is impressive, plenty of power, wonderful sound, but something wasn't right, I don't know what it was, but the current set up just sounds better...….

PS have given the Quad to my son in law (Loves electronics and 50's/60's designs).
    System a mixture of old and new.

Speakers Tannoy Cheviot, Amp Pioneer receiver but looking for something new, Source Xbox One X (For everything) via a Panasonic 65inch 4k HDR TV.

I'm James.

Well there's a couple of possible reasons: the 33s around these days aren't that good, maybe never were, and Tannoys are cranky as hell with power amps. All that matters is you're listening again, the rest is a distraction

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Did you use your Quad 33 with a CD player ? I assume the Xbox has a similar output, so will overload the Quad 33 unless modified.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

That thought crossed my mind too.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Did you use your Quad 33 with a CD player ? I assume the Xbox has a similar output, so will overload the Quad 33 unless modified.
    Agreed ... sounds to me like the Xbox was connected via a DAC plugged into the 33 - which would indeed have the same deleterious outcome.

The 33 is a very capable little pre, once fettled to cope with modern output levels (the DADA mods work wonders ... and for very little outlay)

I'm Bob.

Yes the Quad had it's input board modified by Quad many years ago for CD input.

I had been using it with various CD's over the years and it always sounded good (With the Tannoy's as well), even with the CD player I purchased a few months ago.

But having lived with it in the real world compared to the Pioneer, the sound was just better with the later, this really surprised me, I just found myself not using it until I switched back to the Pioneer.
    System a mixture of old and new.

Speakers Tannoy Cheviot, Amp Pioneer receiver but looking for something new, Source Xbox One X (For everything) via a Panasonic 65inch 4k HDR TV.

+ Reply to Thread