I'm Mark.

Pales into comparison with Cameron's misuse of public money

I'm joe.

The referendum question should be phrased thusly:

Please tick one of the following

a) Britain should remain in the EU

b) I am a muppet.

I'm Geoff.

FFS! There is enough BREXIT on every other media! Can't we at least keep it off AOS?

If not, at least have a musical underpinning to it! Songs of a Vassal Nation! Music to Break Up By? Solitary Tunes?

I'm Jo.

Default Both sides overspent.

My understanding is that overspending by both Remain and Leave cannot legally invalidate the outcome of the referendum. Individuals and organizations responsible for the overspending may be prosecuted, but a court may not invalidate the vote.

The vote was advisory so there is noting to invalidate anyway, except the legitimacy of the political process that gave an undertaking to do as the electorate advised.

The Liberal Democrats were also fined along with Remain and for breaching spending guidelines during the referendum. Had Remain prevailed would those overspends have meant that a win for remain would likewise be invalidated? No doubt, Leave would have argued so, and Remain would have argued against any invalidation on the grounds of overspending.

The pro-Remain Tory government also spent over £9 million pounds of taxpayer's money sending out leaflets encourage voters to back Remain. This wasn't considered as Remain expenditure, even though that is what it amounted to.

Personally I think the political establishment is doing a grand job of invalidating the referendum result without having to resort to using overspending by the principle protagonists as an excuse to return to the pre-referendum status quo.

The important thing to take from this is to look again at how such campaigns are funded, and to consider setting out a new mandatory code that could make set amounts available to both sides. It might be in the public interest to fund such events from tax revenues to prevent overspends and the consequent partisan bickering afterwards.

I don't know about other people, but I didn't need either Remain or Leave to help me decide how to vote. I have lived in the EU and its predecessors for most of my life.

I'm Nial.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    My understanding is that overspending by both Remain and Leave cannot legally invalidate the outcome of the referendum. Individuals and organizations responsible for the overspending may be prosecuted, but a court may not invalidate the vote.

The vote was advisory so there is noting to invalidate anyway, except the legitimacy of the political process that gave an undertaking to do as the electorate advised.

The Liberal Democrats were also fined along with Remain and for breaching spending guidelines during the referendum. Had Remain prevailed would those overspends have meant that a win for remain would likewise be invalidated? No doubt, Leave would have argued so, and Remain would have argued against any invalidation on the grounds of overspending.

The pro-Remain Tory government also spent over £9 million pounds of taxpayer's money sending out leaflets encourage voters to back Remain. This wasn't considered as Remain expenditure, even though that is what it amounted to.

Personally I think the political establishment is doing a grand job of invalidating the referendum result without having to resort to using overspending by the principle protagonists as an excuse to return to the pre-referendum status quo.

The important thing to take from this is to look again at how such campaigns are funded, and to consider setting out a new mandatory code that could make set amounts available to both sides. It might be in the public interest to fund such events from tax revenues to prevent overspends and the consequent partisan bickering afterwards.

I don't know about other people, but I didn't need either Remain or Leave to help me decide how to vote. I have lived in the EU and its predecessors for most of my life.
    Pure whataboutery. You are trying to excuse imperfection using more imperfection. The more imperfection, the more the result should not stand.

I'm Martin.

Waste of time, there will never be another referendum. 8 more months and we are out.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nial.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Waste of time, there will never be another referendum. 8 more months and we are out.
    Odds of 3/1 offered....I'd hardly say that it was impossible.

I'm Adam.

Hold your fire. A vote was taken, the public spoke and, even though they got it spectacularly wrong, IMHO, this should stand.

I now feel we should have the hardest Brexit possible - restore a solid border between Northern Ireland and Ireland; no customs or trade deals with the EU and close the Channel Tunnel. Then, when the country grinds to a halt, maybe then will be time for the second vote!

(I was going to add sending all non-British citizens home but I realised that would mean deporting Mrs. B back to Ireland, and I'm not sure I fancy going to live there with her...)
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Sandro.

yes public spoke whit guidance from bad campaign still public spoke
    They are on a job to do same work
    do your job, quit or else that is what normal people get told but no mater who they are this does no apply to them even when they get the else they still get paid...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast