Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition for clean Brexit referendum

Bigman80 Guest

Fair enough but the fact remains,

The entire nation had a chance to vote, they did and it was to leave.

People really need to accept the result and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I didn't read all of the posts from the beginning, couldn't be arsed.

I have to correct a readily held misconception below Oli.

We do not live in a democracy, but an elected autocracy. We vote in MP's who are a political party orientated.

They do not represent us, they represent the political party.

There are not many free votes in the House of Commons, MP's vote is dictated by the Party Whip, who reflects the dictat of the Party Leader.

So our "democracy" is the result of Party Leaders views hardly a democracy!

Only my observation of how things work.

Gary

I'm Gary.

I don't disagree, but leave is leave not some diluted EU membership that is titled Brexit.

It seems there are many orchestrated definitions of leave.

I'll leave it there

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Fair enough but the fact remains,

The entire nation had a chance to vote, they did and it was to leave.

People really need to accept the result and move on.

I'm Clive.

The problem is there is no definition of what people voted for. It was just leave.

The question was: Should the UK remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

Leave can mean almost anything and I'm sure not all leave voters had the same thing in mind. It's also a lot more obvious now what the issues are. We could have a much more informed vote now. In/Out and then 2nd preferences for what type of Leave is wanted by the nation - and yes that would gather the views of the Remainers should the result be Leave. If we are to leave surely we ALL have a right to say what this should look like.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    The problem is there is no definition of what people voted for. It was just leave.

The question was: Should the UK remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

Leave can mean almost anything and I'm sure not all leave voters had the same thing in mind. It's also a lot more obvious now what the issues are. We could have a much more informed vote now. In/Out and then 2nd preferences for what type of Leave is wanted by the nation - and yes that would gather the views of the Remainers should the result be Leave. If we are to leave surely we ALL have a right to say what this should look like.
    So we are leaving but we should have another referendum about which type of leaving we want? From leaving in name only to telling them to stick it all and shoving the keys back through the letterbox. And some positions in between? I'd be up for that.

The only thing that I think is important is that we can in principle refuse to enact any of their laws, even if in practice we do. I don't think many people realise how critical that is.

If we don't have that legal get-out we are hitching ourselves to a wagon and going wherever it goes, even if it is to the gates of hell, and there won't be a damn thing we can do about it. That would be a sad end for a nation that has struggled so hard and so long to maintain its independence and uniqueness.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

I doubt if another was held, it would be majority for leaving now folk know whats involved.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    How about 'Remoaners' and 'Wrecksiteers'?
    I like that!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Nial.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Tory Brexit? .
    Well, some facts.
    This was a tory construct, implemented by Cameron, who was worried on two counts - that UKIP was making massive inroads into the tory voter base, and that the obstructive and grumbling hard right, anti europe tory MPs needed to be silenced for good and all. So, massive miscalculation, but totally Cameron and the tories baby. Fact.

Votes cast were
    tories 61% leave to 39% remain
    Labour 35% leave to 65% remain
    Lib Dem 32% leave to 68% remain
    Green 20% leave to 80% remain
    Fact - its here

Which party, decided to proceed to brexit on an advisory referendum? The tories. Fact.
    Which party is, even though they now command no majority in parliament, two years whatever later, still - I use the term loosely - in charge of brexit? Fact.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is tory brexit.

That petition, BTW is https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/223729/

Bigman80 Guest

I didn't say the Tories didn't implement the vote or that they aren't doing the management of it, now did I ?

What I said was, they are TASKED with doing what the BRITISH PUBLIC VOTED FOR.

Your facts are meaningless and it's ridiculous to blame Tories for the referendum. They added it to their manifesto BECAUSE THE PUBLIC WANTED IT. UKIP gained ground on this subject because of the support for it. There was no miscalculation, or error of judgment. It got the Tories another term, regardless of majorities. Funny how UKIP have become less of an opposition now the Tories held the referendum.

That's what annoying here, a persistence to BLAME people. A snotty nosed attitude that anyone who voted to leave must be like "Bob", an uneducated council estate dweller, living on benefits and is terrified Abdul is going to come here and take the houses and jobs that as a British born male, has a god given right to. They're all Xenophobic, homophobic scum bags aren't they. All 16m of them (or whatever the majority was)

The Lefties are becoming extreme left because they didn't win the referendum. Insulting and belittling those who voted differently to them. It's pathetic.

The vote was cast, counted and the decision was to leave the EU. It was all done LEGALLY.

The breakdown of what political party each referendum voter usually votes for is irrelevant. It's just another tool being used to try and undermine the decision by bitter remainers, who cannot accept they didn't get their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by ff1d1l View Post
    Well, some facts.
    This was a tory construct, implemented by Cameron, who was worried on two counts - that UKIP was making massive inroads into the tory voter base, and that the obstructive and grumbling hard right, anti europe tory MPs needed to be silenced for good and all. So, massive miscalculation, but totally Cameron and the tories baby. Fact.

Votes cast were
    tories 61% leave to 39% remain
    Labour 35% leave to 65% remain
    Lib Dem 32% leave to 68% remain
    Green 20% leave to 80% remain
    Fact - its here

Which party, decided to proceed to brexit on an advisory referendum? The tories. Fact.
    Which party is, even though they now command no majority in parliament, two years whatever later, still - I use the term loosely - in charge of brexit? Fact.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is tory brexit.

I'm Andy.

Why should anyone who claims to support democracy want to stop a second referendum? Surely it’s another chance to have a say with more facts available. If a majority still want to leave then so be it. If a majority want to remain, then it’s democracy in action. Those voting to leave had their wish in that we went down that road. Any subsequent vote will replace the previously expressed will.

I'm Lawrence.

I'm with Oli on this one. And possibly Martin, but he's harder to pigeonhole.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast