+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tempting Martin Logans

I'm Russell.

Default Tempting Martin Logans

I’ve loved these Sequels since about 1989, when I first heard them in a stereo shop. The price is not bad, and they’d probably take $750 or $800. The shipping of $299 isn’t great, but expected. I’d really rather have the oak side panels, and would match my decor better.

I’m tempted! Any thoughts? Experiences? Advice?

I’ve seen these come and go, some a little less but not by much. They were easy to find about two or three years back, but are getting harder to find. And there other models I’d like just as much or more, such as the Quest’s. Their newer models are sky high in price! And I doubt much better, and certainly not as good looking. I’m scared if I like them I’ll have to deal with selling these speakers I’ve got!

These Legacy Focus’s I’ve got are great! And sound completely amazing. But, I fear are too big for my space. I’ve pondered a smaller pair for years now. Plus, I’ve also got a project to build a set of DYI speakers of my own design in the works. Can you have too many speakers? Maybe not. And these Martin Logan’s are not a do or die purchase, they come around every so often, along with other equally desirable models. I’m conflicted. I really want them! But am not sure I need them, or if this is the time? And I’ve got the cash at the moment, but probably need a preamp more than speakers. Sounds like I’m trying to talk myself out of it doesn’t it?

Russell

I'm Mike.

I'd be inclined to wait until a U.K. pair comes up. There are quite a few M.L.s that do come up in the forums or Ebay, and I'm not sure why these particular old ones are so revered. I heard some smallish ones a decade or more ago in a local flat and was very impressed. I'd also be tempted by the Summit Xes but only to see what they give over my all-ESL Quad 2905s. B.t.w., there are no apostrophes in plurals; ever ! (it's called the 'greengrocers' apostrophe' (apple's, banana's, etc.))

With M.L.s, you do need adequately powerful amplification; even more that Quad ESLs. I agree with you about speakers, and am a fairly recent convert to ESLs.

TheMooN Guest

I would agree, also are these voltage selectable for 230V or perm set for US mains ?

I'm Dave.

Russell is in the US.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Russell is in the US.
    Silly me; should have looked, but made the wrong assumption because of the £220 + (equivalent) carriage costs.

I'm Phil.

some great info on the logan forum , which is mainly us based

a lovely pair of vantage just came up here in uk which are quite rare these days

http://www.martinloganowners.com/for...hlight=sequals
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I nearly bought a pair of ML SL-3s 'on spec' back in 2000. A friend of mine worked for the UK MoD, and for a while was based in Rheindahlen, Germany. He could have bought a pair from the American BX for a very reasonable price. But I thought it was too much of an imposition to ask him to expedite matters, especially in conveying them back to the UK.
    Barry

I'm gone.

Personally, I've never got on with the hybrid MLs. They just don't seem to quite integrate convincingly.
    - - I'm talking of older models like the Sequel, I've not heard any of the current models.
    Others love them, of course. And you are clearly one of those!
    If you're asking for advice -- Yeah, go for it!

Personally I like their full range stats - I've had 2 pairs of CLS2z.
    - sure, they have their faults, too. But they are nothing if not seamless across the audio band.
    Shame about the constrained dynamics and lack of deep bass ....

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Personally, I've never got on with the hybrid MLs. They just don't seem to quite integrate convincingly.
    - - I'm talking of older models like the Sequel, I've not heard any of the current models.
    Others love them, of course. And you are clearly one of those!
    If you're asking for advice -- Yeah, go for it!

- sure, they have their faults, too. But they are nothing if not seamless across the audio band.
    Something all electrostatics suffer from I'm afraid, but something I tolerate for their other qualities.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

I'm surprised if these are the big expensive ones, roughly equivalent to my Quad 2905s. They're neither constrained dynamically nor lacking in bass (for an ESL)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast