+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tempting Martin Logans

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    They're neither constrained dynamically nor lacking in bass (for an ESL)
    I think that was my point! - you have to reset expectations when it comes to full range ESLs, they have a different balance of virtues and vices.

Mind you the ML CLS2z were fairly extreme even for full range ESLs. Bass tailed off from quite high up.
    - the CLS2z were made for a couple of decades and were only dropped when the new full ranger came along at a much higher price.

I'm Russell.

Yes I’m in the US, although these are in California, and I’m in Virginia, so it would be a long ride for them. But the voltage would be fine.

I don’t think this Model has it, but many Martin Logan models have an L pad on the rear to help integrate the bass. I’m sure it would be very room and amp dependent. My big Krell amp would be more than enough to handle any speaker, in fact I worry that some may be too small and would be destroyed by a careless turn of the volume. Although these are rated at 200 watts plus, so it shouldn’t be a problem. Other Martin Logan models have higher power ratings, like the CLS.

I’d love to hear a pair of CLS, I have seen them too at reasonable prices, but not as often, although a lot more than these speakers.

And of course there are many competing brands that I haven’t heard. ESL, Magnapan, and others.

But I will say that when I heard these Sequals so many years ago, they were driven by a huge pair of Krell monoblocks, a Kline preamp, and the Sony ES CD player I was shopping to buy, (and did). I brought a stack of my own CD’s and sat in the salon for hours! Until the salesman had to run me off at closing time. I was totally amazed at the three dimensional sound stage. The musicians were clearly standing in free space, detached from the speakers completely. I could hear that the singer was in front of the drums, the bass 5 feet to the left, with my eyes open. Still one of the best stereo performances I’ve ever heard. Not that I’ve heard that many.

After having slept on it, I may wait until after I get my DYI speakers built. They may satisfy? Or at least hold me over while I sell these Legacy speakers and then shop for the electrostatics of my dreams? I just saw a pair of Legacy Focus sell for $2500! Exactly like mine. That’s a profit!

Russell

I'm gone.

Yes, the CLS can absorb 400W iirc. And they need a lot of power (min 150W and good at driving low impedance I would say) to make them sound dynamically plausible in a lot of music.

-- and Magnepans aren't stats, btw, they are ribbons or for the cheaper ones quasi-ribbons. A very different kettle of fish sonically and physically.
    Last edited by jandl100; 17-07-2018 at 21:21.

I'm Dennis.

I had CLSz IIs for a while, very low impedance dip to 0.5 ohms, NAP 260 kept cutting out, but ATC SIA150 managed them OK. Lovely on female voices, but for me too big visually in front of my windows. (Japanese screens).

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Yes, the CLS can absorb 400W iirc. And they need a lot of power (min 150W and good at driving low impedance I would say) to make them sound dynamically plausible in a lot of music.

-- and Magnepans aren't stats, btw, they are ribbons or for the cheaper ones quasi-ribbons. A very different kettle of fish sonically and physically.
    Well you’ve learned me something! I had read they had ribbon tweeters, but was not aware they were all ribbon. I’d definitely have to hear them before even considering a purchase.

Russ

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I had CLSz IIs for a while, very low impedance dip to 0.5 ohms, NAP 260 kept cutting out, but ATC SIA150 managed them OK. Lovely on female voices, but for me too big visually in front of my windows. (Japanese screens).
    That is a serious load! But I doubt the size would bother me, no bigger than these Legacys I’ve got now. And being thin, may take up less space?

Russ

I'm gone.

Yup, Maggies are ribbon-type all the way.
    Mind you, ribbon speakers can vary a lot in presentation - huge differences between Maggies and Apogees, for example, quite a different sound signature especially at lowere frequencies. And they need BIG driving as much or more than CLS.

The CLS are big panels. 58 inches high x 28 wide. I wasn't bothered in my man cave, but I can sympathise with those who don't want to be screened in this manner.
    Here's one of my pairs. Driving here with a big MF 370ii power amp, and attempting (and tbh failing) to integrate a large powered subwoofer.
    The Belles Hotrod something or other amp (also in the photo) was a complete failure - well, it was a crap amp tbh.
    The panels need a minimum of 3 feet behind them, more preferably.

And a little while after that photo was taken I found they sound even better on short stands which made them look even bigger!

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Yup, Maggies are ribbon-type all the way.
    Mind you, ribbon speakers can vary a lot in presentation - huge differences between Maggies and Apogees, for example, quite a different sound signature especially at lowere frequencies. And they need BIG driving as much or more than CLS.

The CLS are big panels. 58 inches high x 28 wide. I wasn't bothered in my man cave, but I can sympathise with those who don't want to be screened in this manner.
    Here's one of my pairs. Driving here with a big MF 370ii power amp, and attempting (and tbh failing) to integrate a large powered subwoofer.
    The Belles Hotrod something or other amp (also in the photo) was a complete failure - well, it was a crap amp tbh.
    The panels need a minimum of 3 feet behind them, more preferably.

And a little while after that photo was taken I found they sound even better on short stands which made them look even bigger!

That is nice! I’d love to hear them. Your space doesn’t look a lot different from mine, my room is 16 x 18 feet, with 8 foot ceiling. I heard a pair of the first CLS at the store, but just in passing. I wasn’t setting down evaluating them.

Integrating a subwoofer can be a task. Although I’ve heard it done. That may be the hardest part of parting with my Legacys, they have 3) 12” woofers per cabinet, and claim a bass cutoff of 18Hz. I’m sure I’ve nothing to approach that on record. But some Uriah Heep synth that will shake the house! I wonder if I could get some thin electrostatics and keep them both?

Russ

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I wonder if I could get some thin electrostatics and keep them both?

Russ

I'm Dennis.

Your Legacies going down to 18 Hz does tend to infer that they will have 30Hz upwards guaranteed to be real and flat, my own go down to 22Hz, and I feel comforted, not by them reproducing anything as low as say, 25Hz, but by them probably being right above 30Hz.

I think there is little energy below 30Hz on most recordings.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast