+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB to SPDIF Conversion

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    For 49p (+ free delivery..) you can give it a try:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/18m-...b-(male)-black

What the curious amongst us would ask is what you hope to achieve in relation to your stated aim (recording vinyl) ... i.e. what is the rationale behind converting a signal from analogue to digital and then converting it back from digital to analogue and how would this fit in with the aim?
    The reason why I have bought this is twofold: I need a new phono preamp and I wanted one that would allow me to digitise my vinyl discs that are not available on other media. By way of background, I have recently sold all my phono equipment other than my turntable/arm/cartridge (i.e. an EAR 834P, Croft Phono Preamp, and an Antique Sound Labs EL84 Integrated). The reason for selling is that I bought my last vinyl album over 20 years ago and my very large vinyl collection has been in storage whilst I was working overseas. I will be going overseas again shortly and want to be able to listen to albums I have not played this century.

My main system has a digital only front end and is located upstairs in a dedicated music room. I will be doing the digitization in the lounge so that I can be doing other things at the same time. My lounge system amplification is digital only and has no analogue inputs. That means that the phono signal is only converted to analogue at the speaker terminals.

Before deciding which albums are worth digitizing I want to play them back first. That is why I posted this question.

I actually found a usb type b to type b cable, but I am reluctant to connect the Parasound to my DAC until I know that the connection will work. As I understand the situation, I need an intermediate device to convert the Parasound output to spdif.

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I think what you really need is a program on your computer. Such as Audacity. You feed the output from your new preamp into the computer, and this program makes a digital file out of it, same as any digital music file, to be played back on any digital device.

You can then play the file from the computer, through your DAC into your stereo. I found this article explaining it quite well.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...yl-to-digital/

No need to re invent the wheel, folks have been digitizing vinyl for many years now. I understand Pro-Ject also makes an external preamp with USB, I’m not sure how it compares to the one you’ve bought, but probably similar? Good luck with it! Let us know how it goes?

Russell
    Russell,

There is no problem digitizing the vinyl using a PC. I have several software packages including Audacity and my preferred package Total Recorder Pro. What I would also like to be able do is to be able to play back the albums on my lounge hifi in order to decide whether it is worth the effort of digitizing them in the first place. Bear in mind that I have not been able to play back these albums in over 20 years as they have been in storage. My lounge based system does not have any analogue inputs as the amplifier operates entirely in the digital domain.

Geoff

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Before deciding which albums are worth digitizing I want to play them back first. That is why I posted this question.

I actually found a usb type b to type b cable, but I am reluctant to connect the Parasound to my DAC until I know that the connection will work. As I understand the situation, I need an intermediate device to convert the Parasound output to spdif.
    As has been pointed out, the USB output from the Parasound is aimed at processing by a packaging programme on a PC and is not in a form that can be 'played' directly as music. If it won't play via the USB input on your DAC, I doubt that converting to SPDIF will make a jot of difference.

I also have a AD converter for vinyl that outputs via Firewire but the data it outputs is not 'playable' without further processing. None of the USB based AD converters I had in the past (quite a few) could do that either - they all needed a computer to do the work first.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    If it doesn't work the worst that will happen is silence and the loss of 49p. I doubt you will do any damage.
    I'd risk the 49p.
    I already have such a cable, but I did find a post on one site that suggested this would damage ("fry") my equipment. I still have few days to investigate before my phono amp arrives.

Geoff

I'm inactive.

If you are seriously worried about damage to your DAC I wouldn't pursue it.

If you only want to check which you will record before committing to disk, it would be simpler to use the monitor function on Audacity to pre-listen to tracks ... although quite honestly it would be quicker to simply record them and delete what you don't want.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    If you are seriously worried about damage to your DAC I wouldn't pursue it.

If you only want to check which you will record before committing to disk, it would be simpler to use the monitor function on Audacity to pre-listen to tracks ... although quite honestly it would be quicker to simply record them and delete what you don't want.
    Unfortunately, I don't have much time to do this before everything goes back into storage. I will probably be scanning each album playing a couple of track off each to decide if I still like them. There is a monitor facility on the Parasound but it is a fixed volume so I may have to use that.

Having said that, I am sure I came across a device a while back that converted a USB stream into a spdif signal.

Geoff

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post

Having said that, I am sure I came across a device a while back that converted a USB stream into a spdif signal.

Geoff
    Plenty of them about - here's 15 to whet your appetite :
    https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...ters-shootout/

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I doubt that anything would be fried but I'll stop short of guaranteeing it.
    I agree, seems the worst thing would be a “no lock” situation?

Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12