+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB to SPDIF Conversion

I'm Geoff.

Default USB to SPDIF Conversion

I am surprised at how many of my records are not available on cd or on streaming so have just bought one of these to convert some of my old vinyl albums to digital format. It is a discontinued product and I have had to source one from the US. It should arrive this week.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parasound...72.m2749.l2649

The Parasound Zphono mm/mc phono preamplifier with usb allows for various digital conversions using either hardware or software RIAA equalisation. It connects to a pc via a USB type B port. I am wondering if anyone has a recommendations for a modestly priced usb adaptor that I can use to convert the signal into spdif so that I can feed the signal to my DAC (either RCA or optical). My DAC also has a usb input but I am assuming that I cannot connect the Parasound direclty to the DAC via usb.

Any advice please?

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

It will be great if that works but I seem to recall being told that it was not possible. Presumably, I would need a usb b to usb b type cable.

Geoff

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Instead of guessing at things try reading the manual...
    https://www.parasound.com/pdfs/ZphonoUSBManual.pdf
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Instead of guessing at things try reading the manual...
    https://www.parasound.com/pdfs/ZphonoUSBManual.pdf
    I read the manual thoroughly before purchase. It describes how to set up the preamp with a pc which is not a problem. The question I asked is about connecting it directly to a DAC using their respective usb ports.

My understanding is that it is not possible to connect two devices with usb type b connectors. If you know something about this than that would be helpful.

Geoff

If it's not mentioned in the manual then it isn't designed to do it.
    Chris

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    If it's not mentioned in the manual then it isn't designed to do it.
    You clearly have a different view of manuals and manual writers than mine. Very few manuals elaborate on anything other than basic operation. It may not be possible to achieve what I am trying to do, but I doubt it, and do not consider the manual to be the definitive source of info on interfacing with other devices.

Geoff

All client devices need a host to connect them.

The USB interface on the Zphono USB is a client device, the USB interface on your DAC is a client device, and any USB to S/PDIF adapter you can think of is a client device.
    The client end is a dumb end.
    One dumb end cannot run another dumb end.
    A dumb end requires a host to run it.
    Chris

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    You clearly have a different view of manuals and manual writers than mine. Very few manuals elaborate on anything other than basic operation. It may not be possible to achieve what I am trying to do, but I doubt it, and do not consider the manual to be the definitive source of info on interfacing with other devices.

Geoff
    Isn't the USB port on the Parasound USB C looks like it to me?

I'm inactive.

For 49p (+ free delivery..) you can give it a try:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/18m-...b-(male)-black

What the curious amongst us would ask is what you hope to achieve in relation to your stated aim (recording vinyl) ... i.e. what is the rationale behind converting a signal from analogue to digital and then converting it back from digital to analogue and how would this fit in with the aim?

I'm Russell.

I think what you really need is a program on your computer. Such as Audacity. You feed the output from your new preamp into the computer, and this program makes a digital file out of it, same as any digital music file, to be played back on any digital device.

You can then play the file from the computer, through your DAC into your stereo. I found this article explaining it quite well.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...yl-to-digital/

No need to re invent the wheel, folks have been digitizing vinyl for many years now. I understand Pro-Ject also makes an external preamp with USB, I’m not sure how it compares to the one you’ve bought, but probably similar? Good luck with it! Let us know how it goes?

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast