+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I Sell My Surplus Speakers ?

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Default Do I Sell My Surplus Speakers ?

As I now have the Maggies do I sell my other speakers ?

I have a pair of lovely Living Voice Auditoriums and a, barely run in, pair of Rega RS3's

Since I've had the Maggies I've not switched back to either of the them which, I guess, I really should do just to make sure I am making the right decision

I never thought I would ever sell the LV's as they do so much right and are so perfect for valve amps so maybe I should try them again with the SN2 just to make sure as well as the RS3's
    Last edited by Ninanina; 15-07-2018 at 00:10. Reason: mistake
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Brian.

I’m struggling with the same issue..

I would keep at least one spare pair, it’s nice to have a spare set just for when you might feel like a change. Having a few spare speakers has helped when I get the urge for an upgrade, but after finding a pair of Arcam Two + speakers ive stopped listening to my other speakers which is so unlike me, now I’m also thinking of selling a few pairs to raise some funds for an Aqua Dac.

I'm Kevin.

It sounds like the RS3 can go, but I would thing carefully about the LVs.
    If there is a problem with the Maggies, they could be away for a while.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Hampus.

Agree with CageyH nice to have at least a spare pair of speakers, especially if sonically different from your main speakers.
    I keep a pair of Larsen 6’s if I fancy a more open dipole like sound compared to my more accurate main speakers.

Flog the RS3s

I'm jamie.

im a great believer in once you find something that betters what you have then why keep it? sell them and spend the money else where.

i type this as i look at my 4 tonearms so disregard the above comment! lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Surplus speakers? Just donate them to a good cause, I can collect on Wednesday!

I'm Mike.

Let me know if you do want to sell the RS3's, i've just missed out on a nice pair on ebay, got out of bed too late this morning

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Dennis.

For me, being non opulent this is easy, I want the best sound I can get and putting all my resources into one pair surely maximises that objective.

But if you are wealthy, as most seem to be more than I on here, and have a penchant fro a collection rather like vintage car collectors who love the different drives and feel of each, that is another matter.

In the latter case they are not so interested in performance and efficiency which are probably not even a consideration in their minds, but we do tend to have one clear objective of perfect reproduction.

But do check your position with each thoroughly, and be sure that you can validate the Maggies as an overall winner.

I'm mark.

Sell the ones you can pick up again fairly easily, and keep the rare/unobtainable stuff if you’ve space to store them and you like them is what I do.

Says the owner of 3 pairs Avondale Revelations, 2pairs of Kans and AE2’s

I'm Geoff.

We each have distinctive tastes and preferences that lead us to favour one speaker over another. I started out in serious hifi with a pair of Rogers LS3/5a speakers which I still have 40 years later. At the time, they were the closest approximation to my ideal speaker (the ESL57) that I could (just about) afford.

I set them up occasionally and they still sound very good, though I am now more critical of their weaknesses. I too have settled on Magneplanars as my main speaker because I have become unsatisfied with most box speakers. I am sure my choice of the LS3/5a's back in the 70s was due to the fact that the BBC had engineered much of the "boxiness" out of the design. Although I now have some other speakers that sound very good, I doubt if I could go back to a box speaker in my main system. If resources, permitted, there are some electrostatic designs and open baffle designs that I could live with, as well as some of the classic point source designs such as vintage Tannoys.

My suggestion, once you have got your Maggie speakers set up optimally, would be to confirm whether the design and sound is right for you. I am now on my second pair of Magneplanars (1.7s) and if funds were to become available would probably mover further up the range. Unless, you can accommodate a second system, i can't see much advantage in keeping several speakers. Having said that, I can't quite bring myself to part with the LS3/5a's.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast