+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Yamaha KC3 / Sonovox MC-4 moving magnet mono cartridge

montesquieu Guest

Default FS: Yamaha KC3 / Sonovox MC-4 moving magnet mono cartridge

I bought this cartridge back in April from eBay, described only as Yamaha KC3, on a hunch that it was a re-labelled version of the desirable Sonovox MC-4. Well it turned out to be exactly that.

Original listing here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-KC...72.m2749.l2649

Initially I had some tracking troubles with it but this was mainly because the Vinyl Engine data was wrong and I was trying to track it far too lightly. In fact this need about 5-6g to sound its best (fairly typical for the era - it’s clearly derived from its GE RPX and Fairchild contemporaries and has similar specs). It’s moving magnet output, approx 7mV, 1.0 mil conical stylus (in very good condition - see the ebay pictures, I’ve only done a few dozen sides since then) and works fine into 47k ohms.

I’ve decided to sell because I’m overloaded with cartridges right now and it’s not really getting much of a hearing alongside my two Miyajimas (1.0 and 0.7) - though to be honest it runs the Miyajima Premium 1.0 damned close - make no mistake, this is a quality cartridge.

As you can see it’s essentially identical to the Sonovox http://soundgate.net/product/MjI0.highend

Ianlenco of this parish very kindly made a stylus guard for me for this cartridge which I’m including (pictured below).

This cost me just shy of £200 shipped into the uk (a bargain compared to prices for the identical Sonovox), I’m looking for £180 collected from my place in Berkshire or plus £6 RMSD.

Fidelity Research FR S/5 headshell not included, I’ve since fitted it on an Ortofon headshell but I will include the FR headshell for an additional £100 if buying with the cartridge (it is a very nice match I have to say - they usually sell for quite a bit more!). The copper spacer/weight is one I had made for Ikeda headshells and cartridges - it's probably not necessary in most setups and is not included.

I'm David.

Hi Tom

I'll have this please, PM on the way.

David Whistance

montesquieu Guest

... and sold to David.

+ Reply to Thread