+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving coil with silky top end

I'm John.

A cart that punches well above its weight is the Hana SL. It is seriously underpriced, sings well with the std 100ohm loading on most phonos, but really takes flight if you can give it the recommended 400+ohms. Now run mine at 470 via an MFA SUT and it really plumbs the depths, with great mids and extended treble + lots of air and space.

I'm Simon.

benz LP user here, couldn't be smoother top to bottom
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Deleted.

Yeah, Benz carts are a good shout.

(I’ve no experience of the Hanna so can’t comment either way)
    Account Deleted

I'm gordan.

you can gain a lot with accurate and precise mounting of cartridge, especially azimuth, VTF and VTA.

though some brands are hopeless in this matter, the first name i think of is audio technica
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Richie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    A cart that punches well above its weight is the Hana SL. It is seriously underpriced, sings well with the std 100ohm loading on most phonos, but really takes flight if you can give it the recommended 400+ohms. Now run mine at 470 via an MFA SUT and it really plumbs the depths, with great mids and extended treble + lots of air and space.
    Which MFA are you using?

I'm martin.

I’ve been using a Kiseki Blue NS for just over 2 years on a LP12 / Aro combination it’s been excellent. Marries well with the Paradise / Grad 1, so if your in the market for a top flight MC I suggest the Kiseki.

Regards,

Martin

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonnegativ View Post
    For silky top end I would like to suggest Benz Micro higher range

However: In comparison on my system the Lyra Delos plays HiFi, where my Benz Ruby Z plays refined & involving music.

Just my two cents - and off course it is system dependent.
    Agree; good comparison. I've had two Lyras; Helikon and Clavis, and more recently a Benz Ebony. Good and dynamic as the Lyras are (and I've recently had a Titan i on my deck for a few days), the Benz was more magical in the musicality stakes. Both are happy in lowish medium mass arms.

Conforming to the o.p.'s terms of reference, Koetsus and Miyajimas would do the trick, but would need a higher mass arm (esp. the Miyajima). I don't know the spec's of the Ekos, however. Benz seem to be very good value in the uber cart. stakes at just over the 2 K mark as opposed to nearer 4 K for others. The LPS (top of their range) is, by all accounts, a humdinger !

I've also got a Transfig. and Urushi; both lovely if utterly different but it does depend upon the arm, foremost, and of course the ph/stage etc.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Another vote for Benz. I have a Gullwing SLR, which I think is excellent.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

I rate the top end of the Denon DL-S1 very highly.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Steve.

Audio Technica AT 33sa moving coil

Not quite sure how they make this so good for the price I recommend it highly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast