+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XLR to RCA cables - info needed

I'm Josie.

Default XLR to RCA cables - info needed

Hi all.

I'm about to take another step back in to the reely world which is exciting.

I need some cables around 2.5m for playback and record.

Can anyone recommend some cables? I need some pretty sharpish but they don't have to be expensive for the time being.

Many thanks
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi all.

I'm about to take another step back in to the reely world which is exciting.

I need some cables around 2.5m for playback and record.

Can anyone recommend some cables? I need some pretty sharpish but they don't have to be expensive for the time being.

Many thanks
    I should ask for commission from Designacable! Seriously, they do very good cables for budget prices.

https://www.designacable.com/studio-...mme-cable.html

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Or maybe these depending on "gender"

https://www.designacable.com/pseudo-...uad-cable.html

https://www.designacable.com/pseudo-...rik-cable.html

Read the info on how they wire this cable and their willingness to wire it to the buyer's specs

Geoff

I'm openingabottleofwine.

There a numerous suppliers of ready made cables, including balanced XLR to unbalanced RCA.

I would make up my own, using either twin core screened cable or simple coaxial cable.

If you wish to use twin core cable, connect the screen to pin 1, the red coloured inner to pin 2, and the second inner wire (usually coloured either black or white) to pin 3 of the XLR connector. At the other end connect both the screen and second black/white wire to the outer part of the RCA connector, and the red wire to the centre pin.

If you use coaxial cable, connect it to the RCA plug as normal, and connect the inner conductor to both pin 2 and pin 3 of the XLR, with the screen connected to pin 1.

Another option would be to buy ready made RCA to RCA interconnects and use RCA to XLR adaptors.
    Barry

I'm Josie.

Thanks guys.

I've not seen that place before, Geoff so thanks for that.

Barry.. Would Vandamme cable be okay to use? I'm looking at HFC for the parts.

What do you think?

RCA's

XLR's

Cable

Would this be okay or would you recommend other types?

Kindest Regards
    Josie
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

BTW... which is preferable? Single core or twin core?

Or doesn't it matter?

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Geoff.

Thanks guys.

I've not seen that place before, Geoff so thanks for that.

Barry.. Would Vandamme cable be okay to use? I'm looking at HFC for the parts.

What do you think?

RCA's

XLR's

Cable

Would this be okay or would you recommend other types?

Kindest Regards
    Josie
    You're welcome. To be honest, I doubt if you could make up your own cable much cheaper than these as they are buying the parts in bulk. I found that I could not buy the connectors and cable for my BNC to RCA phono i/c cheaper than the assembled cable (about £12 including postage).

Geoff

I'm Josie.

Hi Geoff.

Yes your right... HFC come out a little more expensive actually.

Hhmm.. okay. Two good options.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm openingabottleofwine.

BTW... which is preferable? Single core or twin core?

Or doesn't it matter?
    It doesn't matter. The only advantage of using twin core cable is that at a future date you could replace the RCA connector with an XLR connector should you want to use blanced-line interconnects.

Regarding costs, it is likely that ready made items will be cheaper to buy than to procure the components and make up you own. I prefer to make my own as I then have complete control over the choice of cable and connectors and of the quality of the soldering and construction.

Given the choice, go for XLR connectors with gold-plated pins (Neutrik, Switchcraft and Cannon are all good). Cables from Klotz, Van Damme, Gotham, Proel, Sommer, Belden, Times Wire, BICC and Huber & Suhner are all good and well worth considering. Regarding RCAs, well I don't hold them in high regard as a connector, but when I have to use them I prefer to use Neutrik 'Profi' type; though I'm in a minority here.
    Barry

I'm Josie.

Thanks for that...

Oh, gosh. It's getting confusing. LOL

Would you put that in laymans terms as to what I'd need to ask Designacable for? They seem to be open to suggestions.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast