+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XLR to RCA cables - info needed

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Thanks for that...

Oh, gosh. It's getting confusing. LOL

Would you put that in laymans terms as to what I'd need to ask Designacable for? They seem to be open to suggestions.
    Absolutely, just give them the details and they will wire accordingly. They seem to be pretty knowledgeable so it may be worth giving them a call and explaining your requirements.

Geoff

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks for that...

Oh, gosh. It's getting confusing. LOL

Would you put that in laymans terms as to what I'd need to ask Designacable for? They seem to be open to suggestions.
    I'd avoid Van Damme.

Mogami for cheaper cables. Much better.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    First thing to specify is male or female XLR. I'm still not sure which you need.
    Hiya.

Sure.

I need a pair of both... One pair for recording and one pair for playback. Is that what you mean?

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Geoff.

Hiya.

Sure.

I need a pair of both... One pair for recording and one pair for playback. Is that what you mean?

What are the sockets at each end? I am guessing that one end will be two pairs of RCA phono sockets. What are the sockets on the XLR side: both male, both female, or a mix of the two?

Geoff

I'm Charlie.

Josie,

I have used these (£12.95 for 3 m IN/OUT pair), as well the same company for my XLR-XLR leads. They work fine with my Studers, Otari and Sony machines. This company's RCA plugs are narrow and so they make RCA-RCA cables too, which will fit Revoxes. Studios don't spend a fortune on cable, so I'm happy to save my pennies too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revox-Set...EAAOxyyF5RQXw~

Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post

Pins 2 and 3 should be carrying opposing phase signals. Why link them together? If it's a male XLR going to an input, the balanced circuit will be looking for the voltage difference between pins 2 and 3 - but there won't be one. If it's a female XLR coming from an output, linking pins 2 and 3 could damage the output circuit.
    Oops - I should have said connect the inner conductor to pin2 and the screen to both pin 1 and pin 3. My mistake!

Yes on female XLRs (as used to connect to the source output) you will be shorting the -ve going output to ground, but as I said in my reply to Dennis, I have used such leads to connect the balanced output of my preamp to the unbalanced input of a power amplifier on several occasions without a problem (such an arrangement is recommended by the manufacturer in the operating instructions).
    Barry

I'm Paul.

This document from Rane is useful, if you are looking to make your own cables. http://www.rane.com/note110.html
    ~Paul~

I'm Geoff.

I would simply ask the people at designacable to advise you on what you need. They have a returns policy that will mean you can send the cables back if they d not meet your requirements.

Geoff

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    This document from Rane is useful, if you are looking to make your own cables. http://www.rane.com/note110.html
    That's a very useful guide Paul. Thanks for the heads up.
    Barry

I'm Josie.

Thanks guys.

I just need a stop gap for the moment so the ones Charlie suggested is a no brained for the time being. Thanks Charlie.

I am however still interested in buying some upgraded ones either having some custom made or the designacable ones.

So wiring methods are great, thanks guys.

The designacable ones do look good so maybe can send them the specification.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast