+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntable dilema

I'm Slav.

You can get Clearaudio Concept from Ebay @ £650 , nice starting point and if you decide to upgrade in the future shouldn't loose too much

I'm Mike.

To be totally honest, rather than listen to us lot and basically buy on recommendation why not use what we say as a kind of short list, if there are any members close to where you live see if you can have a listen to their decks or get yourself off to a retailer with your shortlist and make a decision based on what you hear.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Nat.

A lot depends on whether you buy new or used. Buy used and you can buy a high end TT for a few hundred pounds, a Linn Axis for instance can be bought with a Linn Basik tonearm for about £250 add a £50 cart and you have an excellent player of course you do not have the security of a warranty this way. If you want to buy new then it is very hard to look past a Rega Plannar 1 or 3 depending on budget.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Just go and buy this or the silver. Difficult to improve on this turntable unless you go 1210G or SP10 MK2 or above.

https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-19424-te...turntable.aspx

https://www.bicestermusicandlighting...er-15273-p.asp
    Better advice was never given and good advice is only good if it's taken!
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Absolutely. Just get it done and be happy
    I don't think happiness is guaranteed as you can be constantly tempted by upgrades until the only original part you are left with is the motor unit! That can work for some people but not for others ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    I don't think happiness is guaranteed as you can be constantly tempted by upgrades until the only original part you are left with is the motor unit! That can work for some people but not for others ...
    Agreed but I can only talk from my experience.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by bonus View Post
    I have a NAD phono which has a switchable MM/MC
    Cheers
    Bruce
    Hello Bruce,

which Phono stage do you want to use with a £1000 turntable?

Alex

I'm Bruce.

Thanks all for your contributions.
    I will get a long and have a listen to the Technics. I have heard the Rega but not the Project or Concept. Difficult to gauge with days or weeks between but I'll do my best. Sevenoaks have the Technics and Project but there is no store near me (Heathfield, East Sussex) with them all to try and maybe I'm over engineering things a bit.
    I just wanted a decent starting point to upgrade in the future. I'm never going to have top end kit but want to spend 4-5k over a period of time.

Alex - I have not even though about the next Phono Stage yet :-/

I'll check out ebay as well.

cheers
    Bruce

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bonus View Post
    Thanks all for your contributions.
    I will get a long and have a listen to the Technics. I have heard the Rega but not the Project or Concept. Difficult to gauge with days or weeks between but I'll do my best. Sevenoaks have the Technics and Project but there is no store near me (Heathfield, East Sussex) with them all to try and maybe I'm over engineering things a bit.
    I just wanted a decent starting point to upgrade in the future. I'm never going to have top end kit but want to spend 4-5k over a period of time.

Alex - I have not even though about the next Phono Stage yet :-/

I'll check out ebay as well.

cheers
    Bruce
    Hey Bruce,

It can be a difficult journey sometimes, so much advice, usually contradictory but still valid.

The only choice here really, is which one do you "love"

When it's in your home, it will bring the most joy when you love it. All of the aforementioned turntables will be excellent. That's the truth.

I've been down the TT raid and spent a lot of time with Direct drive and Belt drive. For me, DD was my favourite although the TT I recall with the most fondness was an Inspire Quest, which I loved. It just made music.

If you want a Turntable that performance is unquestionably awesome, go for the Techy, if you want to love what you've bought, just hmgo with your heart.

PS, Inspire TTs are VERY good.

Look at this !!!!

http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/quest-force-10.html

I'm Spencer.

Default 1210 vs. old Techie W/The Usual Mods

Not knowing much about the new Techie, how does it compare to a used or NOS 1200 with a handful of the typically suggested mods so often discussed in the Techiepedia Forum? Does the pricing of the 1210 offer more value? My first thought was a 1200 and some mods, because that would allow him to invest a smaller amount now and have a fairly clear upgrade strategy as funds allow, but perhaps now that the new model is an option the consensus over the last few years in no longer the smart course of action...

BTW, auditions will often cause much frustration. The combo of varying electronics, speakers, rooms and setup expertise will certainly affect what you hear. It's tough drawing meaningful conclusions about the table's contribution to what you hear. IMHE, the Clearaudio tables, even expensive ones, never create the emotional connection to the music that I hope for vs. others of similar cost. But that's me and my 50+ year old left-handed ears. YMMV. Cheers,
    Spencer
    Sota Star Sapphire V turntable, SME V, Dynavector XX2, MkII MC cartridge, Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage
    Digital: Server Synology DS415+ / Sonore microRendu / Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit / Custom Linear Power Supply by Ecco Audio
    Both: BAT VK51SE > Krell FPB-300 amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast