+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valve phono stage with Naim pre/power amp.

I'm Nat.

Default Valve phono stage with Naim pre/power amp.

Has anyone successfully tried the above I have an Olive 102/180 which replaced a 282/300 that I like a lot and so want to concentrate on my source I'm currently trying an old Red Button with an FR12 which I also really like and could replace my Cirkus/Lingo 1/Ittock LP12.

I currently use a Trichord Dino/NCPSU stage and am curious to try a valve based phono stage so would it work with Naim and how nuch would I need to spend to better the Dino?

I'm John.

You would have loved the Phono Stage bake off last Sunday.

I too use a Trichord Dino (mk ii) and we tested it against other solid state stages and valve stages.

My conclusion: I'm definitely getting rid of the Dino and replacing it with a valve stage.

If you want to spend similar money to the cost of the Dino then can I suggest you look at this stage that JohnG of this forum brought along?

http://www.nixiekits.eu/product.php?key=digna_pp

It comes as a kit from Germany but you could ask them to assemble it for you. It blew my socks off and is a great deal for the cost.

Can't help with the Naim question as I use a valve integrated but I'm sure others will be able to.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Slav.

Personally I don’t see any advantage of using valve based CD players nor phono stages , good SS stage is definitely as good as valves one if not better . Save some more dish and hold your breath till Paradise phono appear in Classifieds, obviously IMO

I'm Deleted.

There is no isssue with using a valve stage with the Naim, I’ve used loads of SS and valve phono stages with my Naim gear.
    Account Deleted

I'm Steve.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Natara View Post
    Has anyone successfully tried the above I have an Olive 102/180 which replaced a 282/300 that I like a lot and so want to concentrate on my source I'm currently trying an old Red Button with an FR12 which I also really like and could replace my Cirkus/Lingo 1/Ittock LP12.

I currently use a Trichord Dino/NCPSU stage and am curious to try a valve based phono stage so would it work with Naim and how nuch would I need to spend to better the Dino?
    I use a valve phono stage with my Avondale pre and power's and it works really well. Seek out a Vincent PHO 700. Very nice indeedly doodly.

I'm Nat.

Thanks for the replies.
    I’m not stuck on Naim they just happen to be the amps I like most from the ones I have tried.
    I’ve just swapped a 282/300 for an Olive 102/180 which are only a couple of years apart in production terms but to my ears sound quite different and I prefer the older Olive sound.
    I recently heard some big Tannoys driven by an old Leak 20 and if I had another house that would be my ideal system.
    But to get the bass I like from a smaller set up Naim does the trick and I thought a nice Valve phono amp might offer a bit more warmth.

I'm Matt.

I used an EAR834p valve PS with my Naim system many years ago. No issues with it whatsoever. It was a big upgrade from my Prefix I was previously using.
    In fact the 834 was my introduction to the world of valve gear & I haven't looked back since!

+ Reply to Thread