+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi

I'm Chris.

Default Hi

Hello my name is Chris I live on the Wirral in the north-west of England. I've been interested in music and hi-fi since I was a nipper! I can still remember my father taking me to Rox Records so that he could buy a new stylus after I dropped the arm onto the record player in his Hitachi music system.
    In my late teens I moved abroad. During that time I inherited a large number of Latin American records by artists such as Cecilia Cruz, Johnny Pacheco and the Fania All Stars as well as early Hendrix, Cocker and The Who albums. The records were given to me by a Puerto Rican New Yorker. She had an older brother who, by all accounts was something of a party animal which sadly resulted in his death at the age of 40 from a heart attack. Anyway the records she gave me opened up a whole new world of Latin American music. Her brothers records formed the basis of my record collection and I still have them today. My tastes are quite broad I suppose and encompass most genres of music. I have always had a particular soft spot for bands such as Little Feat and artists such as J.J. Cale and Ry Cooder who I listened to when I was younger and inspired me to play the guitar. I now listen to jazz of all kinds- anything other than big-band. Singer songwriters such as Townes Van Zandt, Chris Whitley, Leonard Cohen and Jeff Buckley have always interested me. Classical music is still something of a mystery to me although I do have a reasonable collection of Classical music which I dip into now and again. I find quartets most accessible and I love the sound of the Cello.
    My hi-fi system is currently undergoing quite a change from Naim amplification to a Radford STA 25 and audio lab 8000 C preamplifier. Whilst waiting for this to come together my current system comprises a pair of tannoy Cheviot speakers which were modified by RFC and a Naim Unitiqute 2. Once the Radford has arrived I will use my Pink Triangle PT One turntable, Nima arm and Transfig' Spirit cartridge as my primary source. The Naim streamer will then only perform streaming duties, the amp section being bypassed. My intention going forward is to improve the arm on the PT1 and also to add a DAC to the Naim streamer.
    I think that's quite enough for now, please excuse the poor grammar but I have (lazily) used the dictation on my IPad to create this and frankly, I can't be bothered to correct the errors. Although I have little in the way of in depth technical knowledge I do have a passion for music and I know what floats my boat system-wise. I hope I can make a worthwhile contribution to the Forum in some small way and I'm sure it will be a mine of valuable information for me.
    Chris.

Bigman80 Guest

Hi Chris and Welcome. Cant beat a bit of bad dictation software lol

I'm Geoff.

Hi Chris. Welcome to AOS.

That's a nice collection of equipment you've assembled there.

Feel free to join in the chat. There's a lot going on.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Martin.

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

Radford amp with big Tannoys = great combination, amongst the best.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS
    Regards Neil

I'm Chris.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Chris.

Nice introduction - you certainly have some fine items in your collection and a taste in music which I approve of.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread