+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buggered bolt

Yatsushiro Guest

Assuming you haven't tried to drill the bolt yet, you could try a suitable size Torx bit, as pictured:

Tap it into the deformed Allen recess, then use a spanner or socket to undo the bolt.

I'm Mark.

You probably can't do this if access is limited but filing some flats on the round head might work another time - don't think anyone has already suggested...

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Yatsushiro View Post
    Assuming you haven't tried to drill the bolt yet, you could try a suitable size Torx bit, as pictured:

Tap it into the deformed Allen recess, then use a spanner or socket to undo the bolt.
    Cheers Paul, tried one after the Allen head failed, I think the bolt must be a bit soft as it rounded of quite quickly
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I think I can make room for it in my van. It can go on the "only need it 1% of the time, but when I do I need it 100%" shelf.
    One bottle should last decades, as you only use a drop at a time. Of course, it probably won't work if the screw head is totally rounded off...there should still be something for the wrench or driver to grip onto. But I use it as soon as a screw head starts rounding off to avoid further damage. Together with penetrating oil on the threads, you should be able to get most stuck screws and bolts out.

Let me know if you try it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123