+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buggered bolt

I'm Geoff.

I see somebody else has mentioned snapping screw extractors.

I'm Steve.

Plenty of penetrating oil and cut a slot using a Dremel or similar cutting wheel. Can make as wide as slot as needed.
    This method, scaled up, worked on a buggered Torx M10 bolt on a VW Passat half shaft but using a 1mm thick cutting disc on an angle grinder.
    I then used a air hammer wrench with a slotted bit too extract said bolt.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    Screw extractors are ok if you think the threads nice and loose but snap them off and its a world of hurt because then you have a hardened piece that you defo cannot drill out .
    Any chance you could mig a nut onto the existing rounded off allen head ?
    Mig? There's no way of gripping the outside of the bolt, smooth round shallow dome and the inner Allen recess has rounded off too much. A 10 minute job it should've been
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    If buying screw extractors, get decent ones because if you have one snap, you have a bigger problem.
    If drilling stainless, I would suggest cobalt drills, use a slow drill speed and cutting lubricant.

You can't get a set of mole grips on the head?

Try soaking the bolt with a decent dismantling lubricant, like plus gas for a few days. Then try the mole grips.
    Another way of getting the bolt out is to hammer a torx bit into the allen bolt, but I don't like doing this. It damages the tools.
    Thanks for the suggestion of drill bit.i reckon it's the way I'll go as drilling the middle of the bolt worked well , though it was ages ago since I've done it.theres no way of gripping the bolt at all now the Allen recess has rounded off.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Svend.

If the allen hole still has a bit of original shape to it, not totally rounded off, you could try this stuff: http://www.screwgrab.eu

I've used it on many a stripped screw and allen head, and it's amazing stuff. Grips like a mad thing. Everyone's tool kit should have a little bottle of this.

Good luck!
    Svend

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    If the allen hole still has a bit of original shape to it, not totally rounded off, you could try this stuff: http://www.screwgrab.eu

I've used it on many a stripped screw and allen head, and it's amazing stuff. Grips like a mad thing. Everyone's tool kit should have a little bottle of this.

Good luck!
    Svend
    Cheers Svend

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I think this is the tool that Steve was talking about.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Screw-E...UAAOSwCcZaLtyf
    Cheers Ian, that's it exactly.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post

Good luck!
    Svend
    Interesting stuff Svend, never come across that before.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Svend.

Steve, this stuff has saved me hours of aggravation trying to get stripped screws and allen bolts out. I now reach for this at the first sign of trouble. One small drop is all it takes. Highly recommended!

Edit: just checked, and it's available on Amazon UK for 6.50 gbp

I'm Steve.

I think I can make room for it in my van. It can go on the "only need it 1% of the time, but when I do I need it 100%" shelf.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast