+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering Croft RIAA RS phono stage. Any alternatives?

I'm Retief.

Nothing wrong with your cartridge. I used a MM3 with a Croft RIAA R for a long time and it was a great match. The RIAA R is considerably better than the standard unit and the RS model is another step up. You won't be disappointed. Glenn's stuff is fantastic value for money and his customer service is second to none

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    It's often accepted as irrefutable fact that a power supply in a separate box is automatically superior to a power supply in the main box. Not necessarily true. In fact, they're often inferior due to the regulators being located in the separate box rather than than close to the audio circuit where they should be.
    However, with a phonostage it does make some sense to have the mains transformer well away from the audio circuit - possibly in a separate box - to minimise hum pickup from the transformer's magnetic field.
    So I am correct then. Thank you for confirming what i have suggested.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Alan.

It must be remembered that the Croft stages are MM only, so relatively easy to make hum free in one box, particularly standard width.

The Vivant has a toroidal transformer in the box and is hum free at low MC levels. Much care with layout is needed but it can be done

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    It must be remembered that the Croft stages are MM only, so relatively easy to make hum free in one box, particularly standard width.

The Vivant has a toroidal transformer in the box and is hum free at low MC levels. Much care with layout is needed but it can be done
    Mine buzzes a fair bit.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Mine buzzes a fair bit.
    Buzzes mechanically or hums through the speakers?

I'm Dave.

Not exactly. A qualified confirmation, maybe.
    I think Croft's phonostages have onboard mains transformers. Not sure how hum-free they are. It can be done with careful layout. Removing the mains transformer to a separate box is an easy way to minimise hum but it does add to the cost quite considerably.
    The Croft RS phono stage is a 2 box design.

I'm Charlie.

Others to consider

TRON Convergence GBP1000 MM or GBP1200 MC - built to order - you can specify the cartridge loading etc - super quiet circuit with low noise floor (inaudible on my 104 dB/W horns speakers) - great sound & stellar build quality

EAR 834P - long standing stalwart in the valve phone stage line-up - probably bettered now by others at the price - GBP1204 MM or GBP1347 MM or MC
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Buzzes mechanically or hums through the speakers?
    Bit of both but you can't hear anything when it's playing. The tiny bit of hum only comes through when you turn volume up full when nothing playing but then you hear a bit of tube rush as well.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Others to consider

TRON Convergence GBP1000 MM or GBP1200 MC - built to order - you can specify the cartridge loading etc - super quiet circuit with low noise floor (inaudible on my 104 dB/W horns speakers) - great sound & stellar build quality

EAR 834P - long standing stalwart in the valve phone stage line-up - probably bettered now by others at the price - GBP1204 MM or GBP1347 MM or MC
    Both can be bettered with judicious modification, as I have done on both of them.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm James.

Bear in mind that a phonostage can hum not because of its own internal transformer but due to being too close to another piece of equipment containing a large transformer. Could that be the problem?
    Nothing else near my phono stage but it is built into a valve regulated preamp which has two toroids in the power supply! These buzz and probably pass a bit of noise onto the valves. I need to get them out into another box!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast