+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted - 6 (six) 6922 / 6dj8 / ecc88 etc valves

I'm gone.

Gosh - they look interesting. Not come across them before. Thanks for that.
    And I know I like pcc88 - several happy previous experiences. They just sound better than ecc88!

Bloody Watford Valves are on holiday for the next 2 weeks.

Yeah, I think I'll place an order and wait patiently (not).

EDIT: Damn, Watford Valve website is not very informative, but it won't accept the order for 6. Maybe they don't have 6. The site could be just that bit cleverer and tell you why the order doesn't process.
    And I cannot contact them about it until the 23rd.
    Last edited by jandl100; 12-07-2018 at 06:01.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I have 4 Rocket logo Russian 6922 equivalents. But they didn't last long in my pre. I think they are probably 6N23P and I'm not sure where I have put them.

They probably are good VFM but TBH, you can do quite a bit better, but they aren't bad.
    Thanks Justin, and for the PM.
    My attention, such as it is, has been captured by those National PCC88, though.

I'm Alan.

Hmm, I wouldn't class the PCC88 as interchangeable with the ECC88. Watford valves quote the PCC has a 7 volt heater, in fact it is 7.6V.
    If the usual 6.3V heater voltage is on the high side you can possibly get away with it.

Other quality PCC88 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCC88-7DJ...72.m2749.l2649

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Hmm, I wouldn't class the PCC88 as interchangeable with the ECC88. Watford valves quote the PCC has a 7 volt heater, in fact it is 7.6V.
    If the usual 6.3V heater voltage is on the high side you can possibly get away with it.

Other quality PCC88 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCC88-7DJ...72.m2749.l2649
    Ah. Thanks Alan.

I recall a very similar discussion on the Wam quite a few years ago - the valve-knowledgable folk saying pcc88/7dj8 were not a 100% safe replacement for ecc88/6dj8.
    I ignored them, and they worked just fine in my applications!
    -- they could have gone phut, though.

I'm Alan.

Very unlikely to go phut (great word though), it is likely the heater won't be warm enough to give the correct emmision, so the current flow through the valve stage could be low and circuit conditions not as the designed intended.

Anode voltages could be too high, limiting voltage swing plus the valve linearity could be very poor.

I'm gone.

Interesting, thanks Alan.

Back in the day I did think I heard characteristic differences between pcc88 and ecc88 in the same circuits, over several makes of valve.
    Worryingly, I consistently preferred the pcc88! More relaxed and natural. Just better, more realistic, to my humble ears.
    From, as you say, deliberately off-spec valves with a measurably debilitating affect on performance.
    Hmm. Worrying!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Hmm. Worrying!
    It all depends on the original conditions of the ECC valve. Some designs I have come across have run the valve with less than optimum anode voltage so perhaps the PCC corrected this. As it's said, if it sounds good to your ears..................

Can you recall what the kit was you were listening to at the time?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Can you recall what the kit was you were listening to at the time?
    Hmm, this is over 10 years ago, I think, maybe 15.

Several bits of gear, definitely including a Musical Fidelity F22 valve pre. I think!

I'm Alan.

As you can see it is not cut and dried.

I drive the PCC valve heaters with constant current rather than a set voltage and some of the valves do run at 7.1 or 7.2V, though the actual spec is 7.6V.

Tim de Paravacini actually used a PCC vale in an otherwise E (6.3V) design power amp.

The P heater spec was/is intended to be run in a long series chain of valve heaters, so having a more accurate current rating is the important one.

I'm Simon.

I was happily using a pair of EH 6922s in my pre, given by a friend when he replaced his valves. Not as nice as a pair of Russian cryo'd things that were very nice. Gifted another box and tried some NOS JAN Philips 6922s, ok and not given much time... also gifted some Tesla gold pin E88CC's. Wow, I've tried Amperex, RCA, JJs, etc, etc in the same pre and nothing even approaches the transformation these have brought to my system. Would love to find a quad of their 12AT7 or equivalent to try in my power amps as these valves, o.i.m.o. are really something special.
    I find having very high sensitivity Horns, things can be very volume specific, bit higher your at the concert, wee bit higher, unbearable. Since sticking these Tesla in, I could happily burst my ear drums or blow the windows out of the house. Alarming that two valves in a system that using's 28 can make such a profound difference?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast