+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two amps on one system?

I'm Phil.

Default Two amps on one system?

Got the itch to reacquire an example of the first amp I ever owned, i.e. a Rotel RA 313.

Brute of an amp, the performance of which I've never really felt that I've matched since (unless memory is painting everything in the very pinkest of rosy hues), especially when hooked up to a good 'table.

I am quite impressed by the Marantz my system currently hinges upon and the many choices of interconnectivity provided by the latter is something I want to retain.

I'd probably hook only the turntable into the Rotel and leave everything else as is through the Marantz.

So...is there a way to incorporate two amps into one system and one pair of speakers, with a simple switch betwixt the two? Or am I simply being a nostalgic knobhead?

I'm sorted.

One of these -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beresford...4AAOSws6ZaCrRW

I have one (pictured in my avatar, I switch between valves & solid state) & it works very well.

I'm sorted.

Connections

I'm Phil.

Somewhat...I was hoping to use the chain of turntable -> phono stage -> Rotel.

A thought occurs...could I run speaker leads from the Rotel to the second set of speaker posts and be very careful about not having both amps switched on at the same time?

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Connections

Looks like a solution...off to investigate further.

Cheers, Roy.

I'm Martin.

I'm guessing you know where you can find one?

Should be an interesting comparison.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lawton View Post
    Somewhat...I was hoping to use the chain of turntable -> phono stage -> Rotel.

A thought occurs...could I run speaker leads from the Rotel to the second set of speaker posts and be very careful about not having both amps switched on at the same time?
    Not to be recommended. You could get away with it provided the second output could be OFF, i.e. both amps has selector switches for speakers to be on or off.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

I'm guessing you know where you can find one?

Should be an interesting comparison.
    That's the baby.

There are always a few about and cheap enough to make it a relatively harmless punt.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Not to be recommended. You could get away with it provided the second output could be OFF, i.e. both amps has selector switches for speakers to be on or off.
    Both amps would be thusly equipped, Alan...although it is a bit of an inelegant solution/idea to start with.

+ Reply to Thread