+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aiwa Turntable Restoration

I'm Martin.

Looks like you are going to have to work through this thing methodically from the cartridge pin inputs all the way through to the RCA outputs. You could be dealing with multiple faults here.

If your anything like me you hate working methodically but sometimes there's no option.

Anyway good luck with it. Anything can be fixed with enough effort.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Anto.

Yes . I have an vintage Aiwa headshell coming in a day or 2 . Will be interesting to see if that makes a difference , although those universal fittings should all be the same ?? Or not maybe !
    When the strobe bulb comes ,I shall strip the armbase back again and check the resistance in the tonearm wiring ,with the headshell attached (I tested the spring loaded pins through to the solder point on the arm bottom . Not sure what can be done if those spring loaded pins are faulty!
    Cheers Martin
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Martin.

Well if you already tested them they should be okay. I guess you have tried looking for a service manual? I must have missed that if you already said.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Have you checked to see if the arm wiring is shorting in the armtube etc, as if the insulation has broken down it could still be making full connection down to base but could be shorting to either part of the arm or against another wire.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Anto.

Good thinking Grant .
    The arm has a scale ring on it . I take it its to adjust VTF . I have read somewhere that you set the scale at zero, then get the weight at the back adjusted so that its see sawing , or around zero VTF, then adjust the ring to add the relavent gramm weight ie 2 will mean 2 grammes .
    Trouble is ,the ring doesn't make any difference at all , my little weight unit shows no difference ,wherever you adjust the ring to . In fact to get a vtf of about 1.6 grammes , I have to set the weight nearly all the way in !!
    So difficult to get anything higher (should you possibly need to )
    I think the ring has broken inside maybe ?
    Its a bit of an obscure Japanease arm apparently

I'm Anto.

Yeh , downloaded the service manual ,but cant find an instruction manual
    Here she is after a bit of polish

Last edited by Oddball; 14-07-2018 at 20:18.

I'm Martin.

And the service manual is no help.

Re the VTF thing it could be that is by design? Isn't that TT from an era when a lot of cheap cartridges wanted very low tracking weight, like 1.2g? Seems to me it is just weight on a pivot, it can't not work, can it?

Also on the Technics sL1200/1210 stock arm a lot of carts need the additional weight that screws into the rear of the arm.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    And the service manual is no help.

Re the VTF thing it could be that is by design? Isn't that TT from an era when a lot of cheap cartridges wanted very low tracking weight, like 1.2g? Seems to me it is just weight on a pivot, it can't not work, can it?

Also on the Technics sL1200/1210 stock arm a lot of carts need the additional weight that screws into the rear of the arm.
    Weight to the back of the arm means less force on the stylus? I am having to take the weight all the way in , so looking for more force . I will study the service manual again tonight , perhaps a few beers didnt improve my reading skills and concentration

I'm Anto.

By the way - I really really like the front cueing lever !! I thought - Whats this c**p , but it is so precise and also idiot proof ,in that instead of hovering your hand near a little cueing lever close to the arm , (where pissed people can make mistakes ) , the front lever is well out of the danger zone

I'm Anto.

Well , I have the afternon to myself in the mancave ,and after a few more applications of Servisol Switch cleaner to the inside of the headshell , and moving them in and out a few times ,we now have normal service resumed !
    The Aiwa headshell sounds a bit less refined that the other 3 but thats probably down to the limitations of the cart ?
    Feeling chuffed .
    Had some Marillion on,and Status Quo , and Mike and the Mechanics - Nobodys Perfect seemed quite apt really !!
    Hopefully if the strobe light replacement goes well ,I can have a keeper

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast