+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aiwa Turntable Restoration

I'm Anto.

My other Fergie TT sounds fine !
    Off with the bottom and take the metal plate off from under the arm , that covers the larger RCA wire solder joints to the tonewire arm.
    Putting the multimeter at 200 ohms on the red wire and out to the point of the RCA plug , and it never goes down to 0.35 , whereas the other 3 do,( two earths and the white) . In fact if you move the plug about it goes from 1 to 13.00 Bad connection
    The RCA plug is a moulded one ,but in a minute its getting cut off and redoing it with a new one
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Martin.

Easy fix if that's all it is.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Anto.

Hmm, I hope so Martin
    I have just ordered a few solder on RCA plugs and a new neon lamp with resistor and solder on legs.
    Conrad electrical
    I hope its bright enough!!(the old legs had burnt off when the lamp overheated I think!! )

I'm Anto.

Today , my rca plugs came from CPC . (I ordered some from them as well, as they deliver next day )
    On examination ,I think there was one wire out of 7 braids still connected .
    Soldered in the new plug and now I looked at the neon lamp (the new ones not come yet)
    Its legs have burnt off (got a bit hot ) It runs through a bit of rubber for support?? Not sure .
    Anyroads , you cannot test one for continuity , because its the reaction of the 2 poles that creates the light , and they sit side by side but apart ! For now , as a bit of fun , I have soldered some more legs onto the small bits sticking out and will solder it into the board ,so I can test the whole thing again

The manual says the neon light is a NL 1 ??

I'm Anto.

I think I am talking to myself but hey ho !!

Tonight I had a really wierd expeirience ! No , Marco didnt come by in his lederhosen but after soldering another RCA plug so as to match up the 2 sides , I forgot about the strobe bulb till the new one comes ,and refitted the base and put her hurriedly onto my cabinet above the stack.
    RCA's in and earth lead to the amp and fired the TT up!
    Both channels working this time but grainy and quite frankly shyte again. Bear in mind not really had the protractor card out , but I thought it would be a guide This with the Aiwa cart supplied with it.
    Swapped it out for another headshell with Grants old AT95 Shibata -not much better

Sat and thought about it ! Dipped into my old jewellery box with silk lining that doubles as my headshell store and took out a Shure M75-6S ,and fully expecting it to be turd, but it sang
    Out with the final headshell and an ordinary At 95 and back to one channel and dim.
    Very odd , but apart from the strobe ,, things coming togther nicely (I think )

I'm Grant.

Something amiss at the tonearm me thinks Anto
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Anto.

Yes Grant . I was not convinced it was purely an RCA plug issue because the louder channel in the outset was grainy.
    Last night I switch cleanered the gold contacts inside the arm and worked them in and out a few times !

Possibly an issue in there ? Spring loaded plungers I assume ,without really knowing how they work
    It certainly explains why maybe someones passed this TT over .

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    Yes Grant . I was not convinced it was purely an RCA plug issue because the louder channel in the outset was grainy.
    Last night I switch cleanered the gold contacts inside the arm and worked them in and out a few times !

Possibly an issue in there ? Spring loaded plungers I assume ,without really knowing how they work
    It certainly explains why maybe someones passed this TT over .
    its possible Anto, or there could be a wiring issue. insulation wear-through maybe or just a bad connection at back behind the plungers
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Anto.

Default C

Still very odd . 3 headshells , all set up with the protractor and all sound gritty and rough. An AT 95 Shitaba , the Aiwa type headshell that came with it , and an AT 95 E (all work fine on the other tt )
    The headshell off my Ferguson belt drive , (which has an earth wire from the lift arm, which is metal ,back to the ring where the wiring plug dissappears into the back of the shell) sounds loads better - but not actually perfect ! maybe 95%
    Last edited by Oddball; 14-07-2018 at 14:16.

I'm Anto.

I was amused to see another poster on another music forum ,was asking about the tonearm lift rest,sticking on its way down , on an Aiwa 2200!

Exactly like mine did when I got it !! This was in March this yr

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast