+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Aiwa Turntable Restoration

I'm Martin.

Good job. So just dirty contacts in the end then? What a result.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Good job. So just dirty contacts in the end then? What a result.
    Can only assume so Martin. I wondered if the contacts on the different headshells had interacted with the plungers in different ways , and bear in mind its been sitting without a headshell for some time maybe!
    Strange one !
    Back of the net -unlike England
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Mike.

Pleased you got it working Anto, btw if you can't get enough weight at the cartridge end then a blob of blutak in the short term and in the long term a heavier head shell will do the trick and if you haven't got one i'd suggest a set of cartridge scales to get everything bob on.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Pleased you got it working Anto, btw if you can't get enough weight at the cartridge end then a blob of blutak in the short term and in the long term a heavier head shell will do the trick and if you haven't got one i'd suggest a set of cartridge scales to get everything bob on.
    I have got a set of precision scales Mike !! They are what I use to check tracking weight . (I pop the stylus on the scales attached to the arm )
    I also weighed each headshell today and they vary of course, with the 2 modern common type coming in a gramme or so heavier !!

Blue tack , good stuff

I'm Anto.

Default Soldering a new neon strobe in

Yesterday I had the 4 new neon bulbs . I soldered one in ,albeit with a lot of trouble getting the newer type (with a resistor soldered to one leg)
    in and making sure it will not short out on the deck base . It has a narrow oblong slot to protrude through and is a bit of a rascal.
    Nothing like as bright as the original (I was forewarned about that ) but will do for now!!
    I think if I redo it ,I will try and get 2 into the unit , but that will take a bit of manufacture because the rubber block/insulator , is only really able to fit the one bulb , and it would mean making something out of plastic or whatever.
    Had the second hand Aiwa headshell, very tidy , very reasonable . Not the same as the original but will look ok.
    Set about putting the AT 95E cart on it only to find the contacts on the arm end are dead small and the ones on the Cartridge end (Cart is an Aiwa one I persume but no stylus was included !! ) are bigger than most!!
    I can see I will have to unsolder and fidlle putting different contacts on before I can get it fixed !
    What a kerfuffel !!

I'm Anto.

Default Removing the platter

A bit puzzled as to how to remove the platter on the 2200!
    It wont pull off despite me trying to gently coax it off ! I want to oil the bearing .

Looking at the service manual , there is a ring gear under the platter thats visible through a hole in the platter itself ! The circlip is easily removed but the manual makes no mention of this as a means of holding the platter on ,and I suspect its more to do with holding the ring gear !
    Any ideas anyone ?

I'm Mike.

Strange one that Anto, usually the platter either sits on the sub platter or in the case of my old Aiwa dropped on straight over the spindle, might someone have glued it on?? bit daft but nothing surprises me with old kit.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Anto.

It is strange Mike . Did you see my pm by the way??
    I will have to take a picture or 2 .

I'm Anto.

The euphoria of getting the Aiwa working ok was soon short lived !! I recognised the rca /phono pug on the red side had issues , so had soldered a new one on . Its a quality plug but the cable is such fine wire and actually ,I think the centre stranding has become brittle with age (it is 40 years old ) so grabbing the plugs would cause hum and then the signal would be ok ,then not ,and as I had redone the white side to match , a right bloody mess!!
    The fine strands are about 8 or 10 core and break really easily ,so god knows what they are like further up the things?
    I am a little hit and miss with soldering , grease off your fingers does not help , but with a bit of care and flux , should be ok !!

I an about to strip the cables off the bottom of the table (leaving the ground wire untouched for now) and cut an existing phone to phono ,quality Gotham cable , prepare and tin the ends and solder them in . A bit of heatshrink the right colour to denote red or white and hopefully that will make sure she has a really top connection !!

I'm Grant.

not had much luck with that deck Anto. but sure u will fix it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast