+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bored..... So I shot my turntable [emoji6]

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    The Xiang Sheng will be holding the sound back a bit, particularly if you are used the valve output. The coupling caps are only polyester, these can be improved on.

I thought you had inquired about a better valve pre?
    Yeah I figured that, hence my search for better, however for the money it's not doing too badly

So far I've tried the Satchmo, the Primaluna Dialogue Premium, Promitheus TVC, Tisbury, BTE Passive. Ok I would love the Primaluna but even used your talking over 2 grand, a sum I'm not prepared to pay.

So the search continues.

I fancy trying a Croft (again)

Thing is I've sold most of the amps that would now be worth trying with the Tannoys, and in the case of the TQ Claymore I've no chance of buying another of those to try, I only ever tried it as a Pre, DOH!

Still, you live and learn, just wish it was a cheaper lesson lol.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Yeah I figured that, hence my search for better, however for the money it's not doing too badly

So far I've tried the Satchmo, the Primaluna Dialogue Premium, Promitheus TVC, Tisbury, BTE Passive. Ok I would love the Primaluna but even used your talking over 2 grand, a sum I'm not prepared to pay.

So the search continues.

I fancy trying a Croft (again)

Thing is I've sold most of the amps that would now be worth trying with the Tannoys, and in the case of the TQ Claymore I've no chance of buying another of those to try, I only ever tried it as a Pre, DOH!

Still, you live and learn, just wish it was a cheaper lesson lol.
    I was using the XiangSheng as a pre recently too. I found it flattened the image a fair bit but other than that it does a good job. When you factor the cost in, it's quite a remarkable bit of kit.

I'm told by two "The Truth" owners that they are phenomenal. I have been offered a loan of one but haven't managed to sort it out yet.

That might be the answer for you, not sure.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I was using the XiangSheng as a pre recently too. I found it flattened the image a fair bit but other than that it does a good job. When you factor the cost in, it's quite a remarkable bit of kit.

I'm told by two "The Truth" owners that they are phenomenal. I have been offered a loan of one but haven't managed to sort it out yet.

That might be the answer for you, not sure.
    The Truth has been on my radar for a while, I was in contact with the maker last year, but without hearing one I was reluctant to buy blind.

I'm of the same opinion with the Xiang, a bit one dimensional but when I sit in my living room chair about 9m away it's fine, it's shortcomings are more oblivious in my other seat in the hifi part of the room at 4m away.

But for under a 100 quid

I'm John.

Where abouts are you based Mikey? If it's not to far from the South Coast I'd be happy to bring my MasterSound PHL5 over for you to have a listen to. Not that many about but they are phenomenal bits of kit.

I'm Alan.

Ha ha that has made me laugh.

If you look at his details on the top right you will see he is in Kirkcaldy in Scotland.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Where abouts are you based Mikey? If it's not to far from the South Coast I'd be happy to bring my MasterSound PHL5 over for you to have a listen to. Not that many about but they are phenomenal bits of kit.
    Just about as far away as you could get I'm afraid.

I'm in no rush as I'm going to wait on my new crossovers for my speakers to arrive and be fitted before I decide which Pre to go for, reasonably happy with the Xiang for just now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12