+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Bored..... So I shot my turntable [emoji6]

  1. #11
    Join Date: Mar 2014

    Location: KY - Scotland

    Posts: 3,147
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    The Xiang Sheng will be holding the sound back a bit, particularly if you are used the valve output. The coupling caps are only polyester, these can be improved on.

    I thought you had inquired about a better valve pre?
    Yeah I figured that, hence my search for better, however for the money it's not doing too badly

    So far I've tried the Satchmo, the Primaluna Dialogue Premium, Promitheus TVC, Tisbury, BTE Passive. Ok I would love the Primaluna but even used your talking over 2 grand, a sum I'm not prepared to pay.

    So the search continues.

    I fancy trying a Croft (again)

    Thing is I've sold most of the amps that would now be worth trying with the Tannoys, and in the case of the TQ Claymore I've no chance of buying another of those to try, I only ever tried it as a Pre, DOH!

    Still, you live and learn, just wish it was a cheaper lesson lol.

  2. #12
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 5,699
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Yeah I figured that, hence my search for better, however for the money it's not doing too badly

    So far I've tried the Satchmo, the Primaluna Dialogue Premium, Promitheus TVC, Tisbury, BTE Passive. Ok I would love the Primaluna but even used your talking over 2 grand, a sum I'm not prepared to pay.

    So the search continues.

    I fancy trying a Croft (again)

    Thing is I've sold most of the amps that would now be worth trying with the Tannoys, and in the case of the TQ Claymore I've no chance of buying another of those to try, I only ever tried it as a Pre, DOH!

    Still, you live and learn, just wish it was a cheaper lesson lol.
    I was using the XiangSheng as a pre recently too. I found it flattened the image a fair bit but other than that it does a good job. When you factor the cost in, it's quite a remarkable bit of kit.

    I'm told by two "The Truth" owners that they are phenomenal. I have been offered a loan of one but haven't managed to sort it out yet.

    That might be the answer for you, not sure.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Firebottle modded Xiang Sheng DAC (Telefunken Valve)
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 & Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves) & Monarchy Audio SM-70 Class A Amplifier
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

  3. #13
    Join Date: Mar 2014

    Location: KY - Scotland

    Posts: 3,147
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I was using the XiangSheng as a pre recently too. I found it flattened the image a fair bit but other than that it does a good job. When you factor the cost in, it's quite a remarkable bit of kit.

    I'm told by two "The Truth" owners that they are phenomenal. I have been offered a loan of one but haven't managed to sort it out yet.

    That might be the answer for you, not sure.
    The Truth has been on my radar for a while, I was in contact with the maker last year, but without hearing one I was reluctant to buy blind.

    I'm of the same opinion with the Xiang, a bit one dimensional but when I sit in my living room chair about 9m away it's fine, it's shortcomings are more oblivious in my other seat in the hifi part of the room at 4m away.

    But for under a 100 quid

  4. #14
    Join Date: Sep 2017

    Location: Chichester, West Sussex UK

    Posts: 35
    I'm John.

    Default

    Where abouts are you based Mikey? If it's not to far from the South Coast I'd be happy to bring my MasterSound PHL5 over for you to have a listen to. Not that many about but they are phenomenal bits of kit.

  5. #15
    Join Date: Oct 2012

    Location: The Black Country

    Posts: 4,227
    I'm Alan.

    Default

    Ha ha that has made me laugh.

    If you look at his details on the top right you will see he is in Kirkcaldy in Scotland.

  6. #16
    Join Date: Mar 2014

    Location: KY - Scotland

    Posts: 3,147
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Where abouts are you based Mikey? If it's not to far from the South Coast I'd be happy to bring my MasterSound PHL5 over for you to have a listen to. Not that many about but they are phenomenal bits of kit.
    Just about as far away as you could get I'm afraid.

    I'm in no rush as I'm going to wait on my new crossovers for my speakers to arrive and be fitted before I decide which Pre to go for, reasonably happy with the Xiang for just now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •