+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art Audio Quintet in Triode mode

I'm Don.

Default Art Audio Quintet in Triode mode

Whilst the SD ones are being renovated, I need some advice on the art audio quintet I have which at the moment has an issue with blowing an EL34. It's unmodified... But I had a chat with Tom at Art Audio and he recommends transforming this particular valve amp into triode mode... My thoughts are while I'm getting it repaired I may as well go for the upgrade...
    Problem is Nottingham is a hike for me...
    Has anyone got any experience of turning this amplifier to triode mode and is there anyone in the surrounding London area or south east of England that could perform this conversion?
    Your thoughts appreciated

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I'm Shaun.

Sorry Don as I have no experience with that particular amplifier but I can say that it doesn't suit all valve amps so move forward with caution.

I'm Geoff.

Don,

I have an Art Audio Quintet that I bought from Tom about 25 years ago. It has been in storage for much of that time as I was working in tropical climes. However, I recently took it over to Tom to get it serviced (he lives not far from me in Nottinghamshire).

First, I wonder if you have misunderstood Tom about an upgrade. If like mine, your is an older model it is already switchable between triode and pentode mode. There will be two dials on the rear which select between the two modes. No upgrade is required for this. My own experience is that triode mode (15w) is far sweeter with superior imaging and detail, and more revealing of the recording acoustic than pentode mode (25w). Pentode mode comes into its own with less efficient speakers. I have run the Quintet in triode mode at more than adequate levels with my Rogers LS3/5a speakers and Reference 3a de Capos, to name but two designs.

It may be that your model does not have the switching option but I wonder if Tom was suggesting that you run the Quintet in triode mode, rather than "upgrading" per se. When, I bought my Quintet over to Tom, he replaced some older components, upgraded some caps, and checked everything out. The work was done quickly, and was reasonably priced too. If your model does not have the pentode mode, I would advise you to get it but only if your speakers are efficient enough. It really is a significant improvement over pentode mode.

Geoff

I'm Don.

Morning guys thank you for your input especially Geoff ..I will have a closer look at this as obviously I didn't do much research when I bought it... .Tom assured me that if I was to buy the same amplifier today we would be looking at 4k!
    I think I'll need to make that hike...
    There's a fine line between getting someone to do a repair or taking it to its maker..
    All my Croft kit has always gone back to Glen..smaller more compact chassis..easier to send. it's about peace of mind as well.
    Thanks for your input.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    Morning guys thank you for your input especially Geoff ..I will have a closer look at this as obviously I didn't do much research when I bought it... .Tom assured me that if I was to buy the same amplifier today we would be looking at 4k!
    I think I'll need to make that hike...
    There's a fine line between getting someone to do a repair or taking it to its maker..
    All my Croft kit has always gone back to Glen..smaller more compact chassis..easier to send. it's about peace of mind as well.
    Thanks for your input.

What speakers are you using?

Geoff

I'm Don.

I was looking to use the SD Acpustics SD1, currently refoaming, or a pair of Tannoy SGM 12's...

I'm Steve.

Whilst the SD ones are being renovated, I need some advice on the art audio quintet I have which at the moment has an issue with blowing an EL34. It's unmodified... But I had a chat with Tom at Art Audio and he recommends transforming this particular valve amp into triode mode... My thoughts are while I'm getting it repaired I may as well go for the upgrade...
    Problem is Nottingham is a hike for me...
    Has anyone got any experience of turning this amplifier to triode mode and is there anyone in the surrounding London area or south east of England that could perform this conversion?
    Your thoughts appreciated

You should have a switch on either side at the back of the amp, they are rotary switches and take the amp from pentode to try one there Iis another switch that'srroughly in between ......that's not anything to do with the two I am talking about, now back to the two switches I was talking about. ....... which ever way they are set. .....turn them the other way and you will be in triode. Cheers steve

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Henry Jones View Post
    You should have a switch on either side at the back of the amp, they are rotary switches and take the amp from pentode to try one there Iis another switch that'srroughly in between ......that's not anything to do with the two I am talking about, now back to the two switches I was talking about. ....... which ever way they are set. .....turn them the other way and you will be in triode. Cheers steve
    This pic is on the web. https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=...Nm0AGbOVYgSnM:

Same as my AAQ. The other rotary is to adjust feedback levels.

Geoff

I'm Don.

Well, here's an update...
    Here are the dials ur talking..thanks for that.

Decided to take cover off, and have a peek...

But something don't look right..

and more ..Blue cap to the right don't look healthy...

And this is the icing on the cake!

So it means a definite trip to Mr Tom Art Audio...

I'm Geoff.

Well, here's an update...
    Here are the dials ur talking..thanks for that.

Decided to take cover off, and have a peek...

But something don't look right..

and more ..Blue cap to the right don't look healthy...

And this is the icing on the cake!

So it means a definite trip to Mr Tom Art Audio...
    Yes, definitely get it to Tom. However, you already have triode switching. Just use the alternate position on the two rotary dials at each end of the amp.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast