+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Maximising sound quality from USB

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Back in the day Kevin I ran a SOTM usb card in my music servers,
    sounded better than Motherboard USB out straight out the packet.

It REALLY showed what it was cabable of when I sorted out clean power throughout the PC itself,
    the biggest hitter being seperating the 3 power rails and powering them independantly from linear PSUs.
    The USB card had its own linear as well, so was running 4 to one PC box!

All else being equal, thats where I'd be looking to improve your PCs sound.
    USBs not the best transmission method for digital, something to consider?
    To get it to work properly you need to do some work on it, I found fitting a SPDIF output connected from SPDIF motherboard header with silver in teflon cable was better than any of the USB tweaks i tried.

Sound was excellent once I got the power sorted though, kinda why (I guess) Im such a stickler for it in my hifi setup, old habits die hard.
    I was going to say concentrate on PSU and mains noise and there are huge gains to be made there in Digital systems, maybe more so than connections , galvanic isolation or USB tweaks although I have heard the Schitt audio USB input implementation does have a big benefit.

I heard one of these in my system the other day and it was simply amazing but also has an amazing price!

https://chord.co.uk/product/poweraray-professional/
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Thanks Gaz.
    I was looking at power, but it seems very expensive to sort out properly, as there seem to be fewer options.
    FOr the price of what is available, I think I could get an Innuos Zenith.
    Not necessarily mate, in my experience?
    Got great results powering my own Server from 4 Maplins CB Radio linear supplies, tweaked down to 12V.
    Came in about £50 each?
    Hook em up with a halfway decent power cable into the wall and some good DC cable, say the Mogami 12GA stuff I posted about on my gallery thread and your Jammin.

The CPC linear bench supply I recently posted about would be even better than the Maplin supplies, and only £40 each.
    Just splice the DC cable from the linear psu to your individual power rail motherboard to connectors and your good to go.

This would go a long way to getting more from your PC setup.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Kevin.

After a brief investigation, my motherboard does not have a spare SPDIF header.
    So I plugged in my Asus Essence STX II to use the SPDIF pass through.
    No noticeable difference in sound quality between the SPDIF and USB.

Probably time to draw a line under improving the quality from the PC and look at a dedicated streamer sometime in the future.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

one of these will improve the usb line sound...not cheap but cheaper than they were.

iFi Audio iPurifier 2 - USB Purifier

I used this when I was using a main system with a pc into dac
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Change of motherboard (with SPDIF header - direct feed from the MB makes a difference) and sperated linear power rails, you'd get a nice bump for not a big outlay.
    You CAN go down the PC audio rabbit hole, trick is to know where to step off!

Loads of forum posts and articles out there, but its a time drain.
    Nowadays at my end, even Airplay 2 from the IPAD into the AppleTv sounds great and "more than good enough"...

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    After a brief investigation, my motherboard does not have a spare SPDIF header.
    So I plugged in my Asus Essence STX II to use the SPDIF pass through.
    No noticeable difference in sound quality between the SPDIF and USB.

Probably time to draw a line under improving the quality from the PC and look at a dedicated streamer sometime in the future.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 06-09-2023 at 18:17.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Kevin.

Doing a bit of digging, I have come across the Advance Paris WTX Stream Tubes, which looks tempting.
    Are there any other streamers that have a tube output stage?
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

Would a digital transport like a Digione/RPI be worth looking at?
    Or is it likely to be different, rather than better?
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

i had one of those... still have it i think too. was very good at time i used it. i went off the rpi usage tho when programs started costing...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Same for me, it has to be free to use.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

So listening to FLAC files stored on my music server, it sounds pretty good.
    Streaming the audio direct from Amazon HD sounds less good. Is this just the problem with internet streaming?
    It sounds richer/fuller from the local files. I use Amazon as it gives me a cheaper family subscription, and this is not something I really want to change.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast