+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technics Mash CD Players

I'm Lee.

Default Technics Mash CD Players

Are there any fans or users of Technics CD players?Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Technics CD Players?
    I am thinking about buying and trying out some of the following CD players:

SL-PG540
    SL-PS770D
    SL-PS840
    SL-S50 or SL-S70

To be honest I have always looked down on Technics CD Players mainly influenced by the HiFi press reviews.

I know that they span previous years and are possibly quite old now,
    and there may be newer models that are better.

Are there certain transports and dacs to seek out or avoid? I am keen on build quality as well as sound.

Thanks

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    It’s about the music
    70s Retro Yamaha YP800TT, CA1000Mk2, CT1010

I'm Knut.

Hello Lee, I use the SL-PS620 A. Better sounding than my other CD players, Micromega Stage 1, Creek Evolution, Grundig CD303, Myryad MC 100. It is the only one which never had a technical problem. With seperate DAC it is a top performer. It is based on the CDM 4/19.
    0FC0D039-0249-48DE-9EC5-64278523EA76.jpg
    Knut.

Acoustic Signature Thunder & Final Tool, Technics SP15, Ampearl RE1030 Valve Phono, Ampearl Valve phono LCR RE2030, Ampearl RE1031, Tribute SUT, Aidas MC, Linn Akiva, DS Audio E1, Nagra VPS
    Legat Audio SETA E130L SE, Legat KT88 SE , K&T Donar, JE Labs Open baffle with Philips 12202, BK elec SUBs P12 & XXls400

I'm Lee.

Hi Indie,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply and posting a picture. I did the post on my phone and didn't have time to insert pictures.
    I have never really been really satisfied with playing CD as I have always found it fatiguing. I started with a Marantz CD50SE in 1990 with the TDA1541A – SAA7220P/B.
    I have tried Sony, Micromega, AVI, Yamaha, Philips.
    It may be the Technics MASH CD DACs are worth trying.

The Philips CDM4 seems to be a good transport.

If you had up to £300 to spend what would you look out for?

Thanks

It’s about the music
    70s Retro Yamaha YP800TT, CA1000Mk2, CT1010

I'm Martin.

Possible that your vintage amplifier is the problem, it's input sensitivity is very high, it predates CD players which usually have 2V output and may be overloading the input and causing fatiguing sound.

You could try in line attenuators or have the amp modified to reduce gain.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

My next door neighbour has a 'Mash' Technics player. He owned a hifi shop, which he sold and retired some years ago, so has probably heard a fair few players over the years. I don't know which model, but I could find out.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

They sound better when you're drinking heavily, hence the saying 'For MASH get smashed.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They sound better when you're drinking heavily, hence the saying 'For MASH get smashed.'
    brilliant
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Knut.

Quote Originally Posted by eldarvanyar View Post
    Hi Indie,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply and posting a picture. I did the post on my phone and didn't have time to insert pictures.
    I have never really been really satisfied with playing CD as I have always found it fatiguing. I started with a Marantz CD50SE in 1990 with the TDA1541A – SAA7220P/B.
    I have tried Sony, Micromega, AVI, Yamaha, Philips.
    It may be the Technics MASH CD DACs are worth trying.

The Philips CDM4 seems to be a good transport.

If you had up to £300 to spend what would you look out for?

Thanks

I would go for Creek Evolution 1. I have this one here. Or one step further, a transport CDT 6000, I got today a silver edition from a friend for a few days. But I just ordered a black one for me in this moment. The Audiolab CDT 6000 is fantastic. Regards.
    Knut.

Acoustic Signature Thunder & Final Tool, Technics SP15, Ampearl RE1030 Valve Phono, Ampearl Valve phono LCR RE2030, Ampearl RE1031, Tribute SUT, Aidas MC, Linn Akiva, DS Audio E1, Nagra VPS
    Legat Audio SETA E130L SE, Legat KT88 SE , K&T Donar, JE Labs Open baffle with Philips 12202, BK elec SUBs P12 & XXls400

+ Reply to Thread