+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mains Spur with Separate Earth Rod.

I'm John.

Default Mains Spur with Separate Earth Rod.

I have been ousted from my usual listening place and sent to the largest Bedroom.
    The Bedroom is closest to the adjoining Garage and the idea of running a separate power supply to support the HiFi, has come to mind, I can also have a earth rod connected to this supply.
    Any thoughts on how to achieve this and if there is a value in doing it are welcome.

I'm Mike.

Great idea. Will sound better
    Get a sparky in for advice at least
    Shouldn't be too much
    Ask him about a new consumer unit too
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A dedicated spur (or ring) is a good idea, but I would use the same earthing arrangements as the rest of your domestic installation. Dependant on the mains earthing arrangement provided by the supplier, adding an additional earth spike could actually be dangerous under a fault condition.

Ask your electricity supplier what arrangement is in use for the supply to your house, and inform the sparky.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

I agree with Barry. I believe that an earth rod is illegal because of the inherent dangers.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Aggree with the above, when I had a new CU installed my sparky told me that my earth is connected back to the main transformer at the bottom of my street and it simply doesn't get any better than that.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm John.

Thank you for the guidance offered, and apologies for the late response, Penkridge yesterday, and working today. It seems a affordable option, with a Sparky friend to do the connections and I do the manual grimey stuff.
    Any thoughts on a wall mounted Mains Power Block for further enhancements ?

I'm Mike.

Coherent double switched socket is the best I've heard
    Put in 2 or 3 on the wall.
    Power blocks start at not a lot going up to a fortune.
    Big difference you can make in a block is to use US or EU plugs (no fuses required)
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread