+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you had to buy one classical album

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    I started in a random manner having little understanding of what I was buying. My first purchase was of Barenboim playing a selection of Beethoven Piano Sonatas and Shostakovitch's 15th Symphony [Haitink], because they were the only classical LPs in the sale at the local shop. Over the years I have enjoyed exploring music for myself. It has taken me to places the reviewers and critics [and compilation makers] are unlikely to go. That said, the CD you mention is as good a place to start as any.
    Cheers John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

My first classical LP at the age of 11 was CfP 1812 Overture c/w Night on a Bare Mountain after I heard the latter in my music lesson at school. I then started listening to Radio 3 before and after school and discovered I loved Baroque and early Classical chamber music when played in an authentic manner. So my personal preference would be something like Vivaldi's Opus 1 Sonatas by Trio Sonnerie IIRC, Telemann's Tafelmusik (ok on Naxos), or some JC Bach quintets. I later ventured into vocal music and loved Handel's oratorios, I think the Messiah by Pinnock is another excellent starting point.

What I never liked was old slow ponderous recordings of the late Romantic genre, I'd rather have walked barefoot over broken glass than listen to that. However as I get older I find myself disliking it a little less, along with well recorded lounge type jazz numbers, I guess that's just what growing old does to you..

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    My first classical LP at the age of 11 was CfP 1812 Overture c/w Night on a Bare Mountain after I heard the latter in my music lesson at school. I then started listening to Radio 3 before and after school and discovered I loved Baroque and early Classical chamber music when played in an authentic manner. So my personal preference would be something like Vivaldi's Opus 1 Sonatas by Trio Sonnerie IIRC, Telemann's Tafelmusik (ok on Naxos), or some JC Bach quintets. I later ventured into vocal music and loved Handel's oratorios, I think the Messiah by Pinnock is another excellent starting point.

What I never liked was old slow ponderous recordings of the late Romantic genre, I'd rather have walked barefoot over broken glass than listen to that. However as I get older I find myself disliking it a little less, along with well recorded lounge type jazz numbers, I guess that's just what growing old does to you..

One that I do own though perhaps not strictly classical is joolz gianni pavane opus 50
    And his other track is called silver

I'm David.

It's an impossible task, so I'm interpreting it as an entry point. In which case, why not go with a fantastic and inexpensive disc of Wagner's orchestral music. A lot can flow from this ...

I'm Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberdade View Post
    It's an impossible task, so I'm interpreting it as an entry point. In which case, why not go with a fantastic and inexpensive disc of Wagner's orchestral music. A lot can flow from this ...
    Good call, David.

I'm Andrew.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberdade View Post
    I've got a CD of Wagner opera highlights by Solti, it's a nice collection. Several instrumental pieces on it for those not ready for opera, but having said that who can not love The Ride

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12