+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New phono stage: valve or solid state?

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by friendly View Post
    When did you change to that one Ian. Thought you were settled with the tiny box you had.
    Settled me? Basically changed when I heard the Audio Detail. The Nighthawk was very very good, the Audio Detail is better.

I'm Panos.

Has anyone had the chance to audition an ASR Mini Basis Exclusive or a Sugden Masterclass PA-4?

Thanks
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Andrew.

I have the masterclass PA-4. It surpassed the Trichord Diablo+NCPSU and a Whest 3.0 (one of the special editions), Lehmann black cube and a few others. I use it with the Ortofon ST80SE SUT with a Cadenza black and it's not been surpassed in years. BUT the MM stage on it's own is easily bettered and I prefer a tweaked EAR834 clone and to my ears (so far) is the best MM stage that I've heard for the price point paid. I've heard several Croft MM stages (yes I own that as well), and would say the Clone beats that hands down. The Paradise phonostage (which I own) is something altogether and you really need to get it properly tweaked to get the best from it (Speak to Si of this forum).

SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    .... a tweaked EAR309 clone and to my ears (so far) is the best MM stage that I've heard for the price point paid.
    Just to be accurate Andy do you mean the EAR 834 clone.

I notice your signature also refers to an EAR 3009 clone? Finger trouble?

Didn't know you also had a Paradise, I will have to get myself up to you for a listen.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Just to be accurate Andy do you mean the EAR 834 clone.

I notice your signature also refers to an EAR 3009 clone? Finger trouble?

Didn't know you also had a Paradise, I will have to get myself up to you for a listen.
    It says EAR834 in the post. Yep I have a 4 box paradise . Look at post 374 https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-project/page8
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12