+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IEC cables ??

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Oh balls,. I missed the point here

Mains!

Isn't there a 1.5m supra in the private exhibitions?
    Yes there is and I’m still scratching my head as to whether or not it’ll make a difference, I mean surely I’d then have to change the mains socket , mains internal cabling, consumer unit and so on ? Then there’s the cables inside the amp ! Too many weak links for a 1.5m mains cable to make a difference?
    If I’m wrong I’ll gladly crawl back into my hole .
    Actually I do know a guy that had his listening room rewired at a cost of £7k apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    Yes there is and I’m still scratching my head as to whether or not it’ll make a difference, I mean surely I’d then have to change the mains socket , mains internal cabling, consumer unit and so on ? Then there’s the cables inside the amp ! Too many weak links for a 1.5m mains cable to make a difference?
    If I’m wrong I’ll gladly crawl back into my hole .
    Actually I do know a guy that had his listening room rewired at a cost of £7k apparently.

Ha!

Yes, it's an absolute minefield and there are more reasons why it shouldn't make any difference than there are for a difference BUT in my house, on my system, the cable I built (Belden, iego plug, polished 3 pin UK plug) made the XiangSheng actually sound very good. It also had an effect on my Phonostage so I built one for that too. I am not going to say "yes! Fill your system with them!!!" but at £30, it's worth a punt and should be simple enough to sell on without a loss.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Ha!

Yes, it's an absolute minefield and there are more reasons why it shouldn't make any difference than there are for a difference BUT in my house, on my system, the cable I built (Belden, iego plug, polished 3 pin UK plug) made the XiangSheng actually sound very good. It also had an effect on my Phonostage so I built one for that too. I am not going to say "yes! Fill your system with them!!!" but at £30, it's worth a punt and should be simple enough to sell on without a loss.
    I agree and at least then I’ll know for myself

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    I agree and at least then I’ll know for myself

That's the spirit! If it doesn't do anything for you, all the better! Cheaper cables for you lol

I'm Russell.

I ordered up some nice wire and braided cover and some decent Chinese ends, about £35, and made my own. The cable was Furutech w/4mm conductors.

Does it sound better? That’s a definite Maybe! But it does sound good, and it’s peace of mind, (or is it piece of mind?), knowing that my power cord is not a weak point. And looks darn cool!

Russell

I'm Dennis.

Very sceptical about this, but I avoid obviously badly made ones amidst the mass of them lying around, all looking similar superficially.

As described previously I have opted for Pencon because the floating sockets are made from phosphor bronze, which although fractionally slightly less conductive, has a good low friction 'slide' fit.

Their current handling capacity is also high, they being used by Mac for a long time, (and also being beige for Macs), typically an old Mac when firing up would draw up to 200A, enough to weld my Farnell 10A mains switches solid.

While the beige colour, suiting the old Macs, of which I have tens, may not appeal, most of the vertically hanging cable will make less contrast with the wall than black, but it may look a little discordant in a black socket.

I agree entirely with the above about their role in the whole scheme of mains connections.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12