+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather for July!

I'm Geoff.

It's been 30 degrees (86F in real degrees) here each day for some time now. I hate it! Supposed to be even warmer tomorrow.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Maybe down south but not up north. I've never been stuck for conversation at the bus stop or the pub. Although the number of people glued to their idiot-phones is growing at an alarming rate. Used to be when you went out for a smoke at work you could have a right good laugh with complete strangers, now they're mostly looking at some shit on a screen.

Go in any pub in Liverpool you will have ten mates within minutes. Even if you don't want them.
    The last time I had a night out in Liverpool, we went to a "Cream" night at Nation nightclub. It ended with a "Men at Work" sign being thrown through the minibus window, causing the driver to sulk all the way back to Preston. All because my mate wouldn't give some coked up yoof a fag ("Giz a ciggie mate") Completely at odds with everyone we saw up to that point though.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Svend.

Dominic -- well, I wouldn't describe Canadians as yappers. More apt to enjoy a brief, pleasant chat and a bit of a laugh, but certainly not in yer face. All very respectful and polite. In big cities like Toronto some folks can be quite insular -- comes with the territory, I think, with 6.5 million people around here. Still, it's easy enough to break through the shell and strike up a conversation.

Steve -- you're quite right, hot summers (regularly over 30 deg. and humid) and cold winters (-10 to -20 deg.) are the norm in this area. But Canada is so huge that you just can't generalize. It varies from area to area. We've just had a spell of 33 to 36 deg. here, humidex into the mid-40's, which was pretty damn uncomfortable. Most houses and apartments have air conditioning, so we just stay indoors in the afternoon, and do our outdoor stuff early morning and evenings.

Geoff -- hang in there! Can't last forever. And keep the fridge stocked with cold beer and iced tea

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    The last time I had a night out in Liverpool, we went to a "Cream" night at Nation nightclub. It ended with a "Men at Work" sign being thrown through the minibus window, causing the driver to sulk all the way back to Preston. All because my mate wouldn't give some coked up yoof a fag ("Giz a ciggie mate") Completely at odds with everyone we saw up to that point though.
    I was there in 2007, stag night for one of my brother's wedding. Hot August night, it was like mardi gras in Rio. Just crazy but no aggro.

But when I lived there in the 70s and 80s you really had to watch your back. We used to go to The State, and the club that later became the original Cream ( can't recall the name). Came out of there one night, three of us with our ladies, and walked straight into the middle of a gun fight. 2 gangs shooting it out in the street.

In the winter you'd get to the cab rank by the Adelphi Hotel and there would always be blood in the snow from where they'd been fighting over who was next.

You're always going to have a few nutters around but back then it was just part of the scenery. Left there in 1987 and went to live in the countryside, it was a bit of a contrast.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    iced tea
    Iced tea? No thanks!

I seem to drink water more than anything else. One coffee and one hot tea allowed per day. Beer optional in the evening.

I'm Svend.

Maybe iced tea is more popular here? Everyone drinks it -- as common in the drinks coolers at gas stations as colas.

Ever tried an iced coffee made with espresso? Damn good!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I was there in 2007, stag night for one of my brother's wedding. Hot August night, it was like mardi gras in Rio. Just crazy but no aggro.

But when I lived there in the 70s and 80s you really had to watch your back. We used to go to The State, and the club that later became the original Cream ( can't recall the name). Came out of there one night, three of us with our ladies, and walked straight into the middle of a gun fight. 2 gangs shooting it out in the street.

In the winter you'd get to the cab rank by the Adelphi Hotel and there would always be blood in the snow from where they'd been fighting over who was next.

You're always going to have a few nutters around but back then it was just part of the scenery. Left there in 1987 and went to live in the countryside, it was a bit of a contrast.
    Towns and cities in the 70's were so much like the Wild West, I'm surprised they didn't play more Ennio Morricone in the clubs, though it looks like you had more than your fair share of Good Bad & Ugly.

Had some good nights at Cream, played a lot of Leftfield, New Order and Underworld. Atmosphere in the "courtyard" there was great on summer nights. Before that we used to go to a place called 051 Club, and that was good too, Place looked a bit rough but never saw any trouble, apart from a mate who was quickly ejected for swallowing "something" while stood in the middle of the dancefloor. Served him right.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

I was stage minder for the biggest moblie disco around many years ago and there were no end of punch-ups and even a few stabbings at the big venues we worked. All booze and drug fueled.

I'm Martin.

I remember seeing a punk arguing with a new romantic, who had the make up, the lot, which was pretty daring back then in Liverpool. Next thing the punk is glassing him, claret everywhere. The NR's bird takes him in the bogs and cleans him up. An hour later he and the punk are chatting like best mates. I remember thinking 'Ah that's good to see'. Then as I'm leaving the punk is glassing him again. That was it for me, made up my mind to get out of Liverpool however I did it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I'm indoors with all the windows open 'cos it's still way too warm. Trouble is, the smell of what I think may be chicken and chips frying is wafting in from somewhere and it's making me hungry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast