+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Power amp transformer hum

I'm Alex.

OK, I managed to find some sorbothane (or similar) equipment feet. I put a hole in the middle of two, slid them over the studs and fastened the transformers down on top of them. Much, much better! There is now only the faintest level of hum, faint enough to be of no concern. I feel like I have achieved. Thank you to everyone who has chipped in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Simon.

1. A loosely wound transformer can vibrate/hum. If this is mechanically coupled into the chassis it will be amplified by the casework. It coupled into valves it can come out of the speakers. Refit the traffo, try soft mounts, pads, tight/loose screw mounting.
    2. DC riding on the mains. if it adjusts in sound during the day then this is likely, could be over voltage though. Get a DC blocker, get one rated to handle up to 3 volts. Soljstrom audio do a couple, they work. DC on the trafo can couple into the core and come through as noise from subsequent stages.
    3. Overvoltage, can saturate the core, cause physical hum and can come through subsequent stages. Not much you can do here other than measure it and respec new trafo's.
    4. Toroids have a gap in the winding where the wires go through, this is usually a quiet spot. If you have 100hz noise coupling into the system try rotating the traffo, if wire length allows, so you can point the quiet bit at the sensitive wires. (Honestly though, fix your ground loops, minimize your loop area and take care of circuit decoupling properly).
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Bigman80 Guest

This is what I wish I'd had the ability to put into words. Great post.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    1. A loosely wound transformer can vibrate/hum. If this is mechanically coupled into the chassis it will be amplified by the casework. It coupled into valves it can come out of the speakers. Refit the traffo, try soft mounts, pads, tight/loose screw mounting.
    2. DC riding on the mains. if it adjusts in sound during the day then this is likely, could be over voltage though. Get a DC blocker, get one rated to handle up to 3 volts. Soljstrom audio do a couple, they work. DC on the trafo can couple into the core and come through as noise from subsequent stages.
    3. Overvoltage, can saturate the core, cause physical hum and can come through subsequent stages. Not much you can do here other than measure it and respec new trafo's.
    4. Toroids have a gap in the winding where the wires go through, this is usually a quiet spot. If you have 100hz noise coupling into the system try rotating the traffo, if wire length allows, so you can point the quiet bit at the sensitive wires. (Honestly though, fix your ground loops, minimize your loop area and take care of circuit decoupling properly).

I'm Alan.

I've had a few torroidal transformers from Terry at Canterbury Winding's and they have all been quiet and excellent quality
    My mains varies between 240 -250 so I always ask him for 240V primary, Goss band and electrostatic screen
    http://www.canterburywindings.co.uk/standard_range.html
    Those Torroidy ones look very well made may try some of them on my next amp build

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I think you're barking up the wrong tree there. Yes, electricity meters can make a noise, but there's no reason why that should necessarily cause the speakers to buzz. The problem lies elsewhere imo.
    Could be, I just find it strange that 1 amp doesn't let it through but the others do. I can only think it has something in the circuit to filter/clean it. Going by my sample is that a buzz or hum? Should it be coming through both tweeter and woofer?

I'm Tony.

Over the last few years we have come across more TX's actually buzzing through the speakers, rather than a mechanical hum,

Electrically generated noise seems to be the common bugbear currently, usually the TX just needs be swung to find its happy point.
    As Simon covered all of the basics for you guys should help you in the future deal with any untoward TX related issues you may come across.

We are fortunate enough to have in house TX facilities, however when we have used outside contractors Air-link have always delivered what was asked, though if you do opt for this route, at the very least have a screen on the primary winding's that taken to ground.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Deleted.

You need one of these:

Account Deleted

I'm Simon.

What's that Mark?

I'm Dominic.

Mains DC blocker?
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Deleted.

Yep, mains DC blocker - made it yesterday .
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast