+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power amp transformer hum

I'm Alex.

Default Power amp transformer hum

Any advice on what to do to help prevent transformer hum? I believe the first thing to try would be a DC blocker type thing but have done a bit of research and these can possibly have a bit of a negative effect on power amps. Anything else I can try?

The amp in question is an Avondale ZAP 250 and when listening to music at anything other than very quiet the hum isn’t an issue, on the rare occasion though that I listen at quiet volumes for a bit of background music it’s annoying!

I'm Tony.

Is the noise actual transformer hum or an electrical noise through the speakers?
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Without a source connected, is the hum electrical (i.e can be heard when listening close to the speaker), or is it mechanical (i.e. can be heard when listening close to the amplifier)?

Is the transformer in the ampifier a toroid?
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Contact Avondale Audio. I'm sure they'll be very helpful.
    Sometimes just tightening a screw somewhere can be enough to reduce any vibration and quieten things down considerably.
    I keep meaning to do this! It’s the obvious starting point!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Is the noise actual transformer hum or an electrical noise through the speakers?
    Actual transformer hum.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Without a source connected, is the hum electrical (i.e can be heard when listening close to the speaker), or is it mechanical (i.e. can be heard when listening close to the amplifier)?

Is the transformer in the ampifier a toroid?
    The amp hums with absolutely nothing connected to it, it does so when connected to different mains sockets.

I assume it’s a toroid, I’m not certain though, I don’t even know what other types there are!?

I'm Chris.

If the hum is mechanical and if you feel,comfortable, this is what I would do.

Put the amp on till it hums then remove the top to see if this in itself has had an effect. Then bare down on various parts of the chassis and transformer with a wooden stick. You may well find that tightening down or a new rubber washer will sort things out.

Good luck
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Toroidal transformers are prone to mechanical 'hum' if there is some DC present on the mains (> 100mV). But other transformer designs can vibrate mechanically at the mains frequency (and hence 'hum) if the laminations are not tighened up.

I would suggest you contact Avondale and seek their opinion and advice.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Toroidal transformers are prone to mechanical 'hum' if there is some DC present on the mains (> 100mV). But other transformer designs can vibrate mechanically at the mains frequency (and hence 'hum) if the laminations are not tighened up.

I would suggest you contact Avondale and seek their opinion and advice.
    +1
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Tommy.

I'm using a dc blocker for my amp. And it works very well. For your use I will advise to try one out.
    The reputation is various because of various reasons. Some are also quite expensive. Actually you can get them very cheap on eBay, and they do the work.
    Actually my experience is that if you first have the hum and remove it with dc blocker, your amp will make a better sounding stage. Better dynamics and headroom ( maybe of most part because the noise flour is lower). Either way it is a plus for audio listening.

Here is a link for what I'm using

https://m.ebay.com/itm/DC-trap-block...e/131654666919

Tommy

I'm Alex.

I have sent Avondale an email seeking their advice, should I not make any progress off the back of their reply I’ll have to try a DC blocker such as this.

Bigman80 Guest

A DC blocker is unlikely to eradicate the problem. I use one and they still buzz, although it does reduce it *very little*

I have transformers which have Mechanical buzz, which is what you have.

The ONLY way to entirely rectify it, is to replace the TFs with audiophile quality ones. Airlink and Toriody (I like Toriody) have audiophile quality TFs but drop them an email and specify that's what they are for.

I've used multiple cheaper Chinese alternatives and ended up throwing them out due to the noise they make

They buzz because the laminations arent glued together 100%. Whilst this has no bearing on functionality, it does make them noisy.

This one is in my valve phonostage, after chucking the noisy Chinese bought one. Worth every penny.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast