+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sme 3012 series 1 tonearm

I'm brian.

Now that this sale is done, I will post an extra......

Ive been asked by friends and others, what I’m doing with all the money I’m raising from my hi fi sales.

Well, it’s already spent. I’m trying to replenish the considerable hole in my finances!

I recently bought the sax of my dreams. Ive been looking for one like this for 20 years.

It’s the holy grail. The ultimate. The one everyone wants.

And it’s mine.

A Selmer Mark 6 from 1956, original finish.

Some lacquer wear, but physically and mechanically fantastic.

I’m ecstatic to own such a sax.

Here is a pic. It may not look much, but sax players would salivate and dribble on seeing this picture.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    Now that this sale is done, I will post an extra......

Ive been asked by friends and others, what I’m doing with all the money I’m raising from my hi fi sales.

Well, it’s already spent. I’m trying to replenish the considerable hole in my finances!

I recently bought the sax of my dreams. Ive been looking for one like this for 20 years.

It’s the holy grail. The ultimate. The one everyone wants.

And it’s mine.

Here is a pic. It may not look much, but sax players would salivate and dribble on seeing this picture.

Lovely Horn Brian. I 'Get it'!
    I hope you have a mouth piece to do it justice!
    Well done!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adam.

has it the optional F♯ key ?

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    has it the optional F♯ key ?
    Get you... with your geeky stuff !!!! Lol...

Do you play?

No, this one doesn’t. as you say it was optional then. The majority from the 50s don’t have.

There is feeling that without f sharp saxes play better. I agree.

Sadly, later all saxes, all brands, have f sharp.

I'm brian.

Lovely Horn Brian. I 'Get it'!
    I hope you have a mouth piece to do it justice!
    Well done!
    Do I have a mouthpiece..

I have a bag load of them.

In fact I’ve had to put them in my mums attic in Scotland, out of the way. I was spending way too much time faffing about with mouthpieces. Sad isn’t it.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Brian out of interest and as a none music reading non-player, is that f sharp thing the Honk sound you occasionally get from the sax?
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Adam.

Get you... with your geeky stuff !!!! Lol...

Do you play?

No, this one doesn’t. as you say it was optional then. The majority from the 50s don’t have.

There is feeling that without f sharp saxes play better. I agree.

Sadly, later all saxes, all brands, have f sharp.
    No I don't play a horn, but do have a set of vibes, which I play pretty badly to Jamey Aebersold, rhythm play along lps!

The Selmer MK6 a legendary horn.
    Giants, Sonny Rollins, Hank Mobley, Coltrane and Tubby Hayes all played the very same model, of various years.
    You are in great company!
    Tarnishing is part of the charm.

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post

is that f sharp thing the Honk sound you occasionally get from the sax?

Andy, I’m afraid I don’t recognise what you mean !!!!

honk sound from a sax????????

I hear nothing but beautiful, life enhancing, touch the soul, hairs on the back of the neck stuff coming out of any sax.

Perhaps you are thinking of a trumpet, trombone, overdriven fender strat, etc etc

Ok, joking aside, and without getting too technical.

The normal range of the sax goes up to high F. Ie that’s with conventional fingerings that you will see in tutor books.
    In about the 1950s, as players started to want to go higher than that, manufacturers responded and added an f sharp key.

I feel it isn’t needed and play f sharp easily and comfortably with so called “ false fingerings”. Nothing special, everyone does it now. So, there are folks who play an octave higher or more than the so called top note of F

These notes tend to be thinner in sound, so the honking you are talking about is probably not that.
    The honking tends to come from the very low notes of the sax. A blast like a fog horn, possibly
    You will hear this especially in the old rock and roll sax style.

Hope that helps.

I'm brian.

The Selmer MK6 a legendary horn
    You are in great company!
    Tarnishing is part of the charm.
    Ive played various other mark sixes for 20years. In fact my most recent one was very close in age to Coltranes sax. But it was from the 60s. Great sax....but.......

The ones from just a few years from the mid to late 50s are nowadays thought of as the Holy Grail.
    Very hard to come by, I’m feeling very luck to have one now.
    It is fantastic.

The tarnishing thing is a big deal in the sax world. the lacquer does fall of over time. Lots of folks in the past had them re finished. They look shiny and new.
    Bad news.
    These are now worth a lot tless than an equivilant age original one!!!!

I don’t care a jot about the look or state of the lacquer, as long as it is original, and the sax plays properly.
    In fact it kind of helps give me the vibe I want.

I'm phil.

A beautiful looking sax, I bet it could tell some story's
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12