+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-amp recommendation please

I'm Alan.

As Far as I know its not a stepped attenuator its a pot with mechanical steps so you could remove that mechanism ?.

I had a quad system and loved the classic looks of it
    The 34 suits the very revealing 306 amp very well but on its own with a transparent power amp it sound a bit bland and veiled IMO.

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Mike.

The 34 pre does divide opinion, no doubt but I haven't found it particularly veiled or pipe and slippers but I'm also pretty sure that my high frequency hearing isn't as good as it should be.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm inactive.

This makes am interesting read:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...tivity.140901/

Particularly the comment from 'Robert' further down the thread:

"On the volume pot, its an oddity in that it consists of laser etched resistive 'lands' instead of a continuous track and behaves exactly like a stepped attenuator.
    The lands themselves carry different values instead of the hard wired resistors you'd normally find.
    You'll find there is no intermediate setting between clicks even if you try to gently set the control between positions."

(Doncha just love Google )

I'm Mike.

Thanks for that Mike, that's very interesting. It looks like I won't be able to 'modify' the volume control after all :/

I'm Gary.

I think it was said earlier that you can vary the output gain by changing two resistors, it may be that doing this you could come to a setting that suits your listening levels.

If the above is correct could you use a pair of miniature pots instead?

I too am using Google as my source of knowledge, as I am dumb as far as electronics are concerned!

Gary

Is it worth the hassle, only you can decide.

I'm Mike.

It's not the absolute volume level that is the problem Gary.

It is that the volume differential between steps is too great, so I often find a track is just a bit too loud or just a bit too quiet.

I'm Alan.

All is not lost, there is a possible solution which would be fully reversible back to the original pot.

However the 'law' of the volume increase would probably be not exactly matched to the standard logarithmic response of a standard B pot.
    By fitting a standard replacement pot the active volume stage would still function, then judicious choice of padding resistor on the pot would approximate a logarithmic response.

The original can always be retro fitted without problem.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    It's not the absolute volume level that is the problem Gary.

It is that the volume differential between steps is too great, so I often find a track is just a bit too loud or just a bit too quiet.
    I wasn't clear, by changing the resistor values you could arrive at one of the 'lands' that was suitable for you, not the absolute level.

Gary

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    If you're using only half the volume control's travel, reducing the overall gain would allow you to use more of its travel and the step sizes would be effectively smaller
    The same thought crossed my mind.

Rather like changing down a gear in a car!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    If you're using only half the volume control's travel, reducing the overall gain would allow you to use more of its travel and the step sizes would be effectively smaller. It's worth considering. What's the maximum setting you ever use?
    Ah, now I see. That makes perfect sense.

The max volume I use is about 60 - 65%

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast